foods and treats - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default foods and treats

So I'm complely worried about making the same mistake with Angel as i did with Sonic. Where i kept him on the same food when i got him. the food angel is on is 40% protein and 18% fat and grain free. is this ok or should i switch her. I don't want to turn her into another CCBchubby hog. she is very active. runs on her wheel for hours.
also can they have a little bit of peanut butter? I'm trying to find a way to keep her still for a couple pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151003_113129.jpg (358.9 KB, 8 views)

RIP my baby boy Sonic 28/01/13 - 06/06/15
hemigirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

At the very least, I would make a mix with lower fat and protein percentages.
The other option is switch her over and do a mix with optimal percentages.
hemigirl likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just weighed her and she is 363g. When I got her on Aug 30, she was about 2 months old.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Weight matters less than body shape. If they're overweight, they will have rolls of fat underneath their legs, in their armpits, their sides will feel soft & squishy (rather than muscled), they'll have a double chin, and they will sometimes have a hump of fat on their back, between their shoulders.

That said, I agree with Twobytwo. While some hedgehogs need higher fat, especially as babies, it can be hard to switch them off high fat food if you end up needing to. The protein is also too high, and you'd be better off at least finding something with lower protein. IMO, I would find at least two different good-quality foods with protein around 35% or below. One food with fat between 15-18%, and one with fat somewhere around 10-12%. You can mix them together, and that way if you need to start changing how much fat she's getting, you can up one food or the other as needed. If she ends up being a huge runner & really needing high fat foods, you can switch out the lower fat one for one a bit higher in fat, or just add in a third high-fat food. If she starts putting on too much weight, you can up the amount of the low-fat food, or you can take out the high-fat one completely & she'll still have a lower-fat one she's used to.
hemigirl likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks guys. I'm just worried already because sonic ended up overweight. i think i will just have a lot of fear for awhile. She isnt even close to being chubby but i want to make sure I'm doing things right. Will a little peanut butter be ok to get her to stay still for a picture.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It should be fine, but make sure it's a very small amount infrequently if it's regular peanut butter. If you want to give it more often (more than like, a couple times a month), personally I would suggest getting natural peanut butter doesn't have salt, sugar, etc. added into it, just peanuts.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, I just want to try and get her to stay still so I can do some halloween pictures of her. She just loves to go.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is one of the new foods that I picked up for Angel today. I haven't yet opened it or anything. Do you guys think this one is a good one. When I did the calculations with this one and her old food if I mixed it 50/50 I was looking at 36% protein and 17% fat. Again if I did the calculations right. Then I can get her switched to the new food and then add a lower mix in with protein and fat. Or do you figure that should be fine unless I notice a lot of weight gain and her suddenly not being so active?
Currently she is a spikey ball of energy. Runs on her wheel for at least 2 hours and snuggle time with her is more like climb all over mom and make her chase me while I think she is a jungle gym and try and eat her hair.
Sorry guys I'm just paranoid. Since the loss of Sonic (which I know wasn't my fault), I want to try and do whatever is best for my baby girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151003_195326.jpg (234.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20151003_163037.jpg (200.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I just read your update on your other thread! She does sound like a busy hog & probably one that does need the extra fat. It sounds like a good idea to go ahead & mix this one with your first food and see how she does. If she starts to slow down at all as she gets older or starts gaining quite a bit of weight each week when you do weekly weigh-ins, then you can get a lower-fat food & start introducing it in. If you are concerned & want to do that now, that probably wouldn't hurt either, it's up to you.
hemigirl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in