the opisite of obese - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hedgiebum14
Default the opisite of obese

ive had rose for 5 months now and she's about the size of a full grown teddy bear hamster. i think she was a runt but i could be wrong, any ideas of whats wrong with her and do you think shell grow?

previous monsters whom i miss:

2009-2013
in a foster home and both doing well
hedgiebum14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: the opisite of obese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiebum14
ive had rose for 5 months now and she's about the size of a full grown teddy bear hamster. i think she was a runt but i could be wrong, any ideas of whats wrong with her and do you think shell grow?
Some hedgehogs are naturally smaller framed averaging in the mid 250gs to 300gs and are perfectly healthy.

You want your hedgehogs body to look more like this:

()

and not this:

)(

If your hedgehog has an hourglass like body shape you'll want to add more fat to her diet such as supplementing more meal worms into her daily intake.

Adding a kitten cat food in to help promote some extra weight gain.

EDIT: I noticed your feeding just a hedgehog food, most of these don't provide enough nutrients for hedgehogs and can cause a lower weight because the majority of the ingredients are "junk" and are just processed into more waste.

Have you ever caught your hedgehog trying to eat its waste or pee? This may sound disgusting but usually an animal does that when they aren't getting everything they need, they don't always do it, but if your hedgehog is small it may also be due to not getting the nutrients it needs to grow.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Quote:
Some hedgehogs are naturally smaller framed averaging in the mid 250gs to 300gs and are perfectly healthy.

You want your hedgehogs body to look more like this:

()

and not this:

)(

If your hedgehog has an hourglass like body shape you'll want to add more fat to her diet such as supplementing more meal worms into her daily intake.

Adding a kitten cat food in to help promote some extra weight gain.

thank you very much and yes, she does have an hourglass figure, i hate it! XC

2009-2013

Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I edited my reply to add in concern about the hedgehog food, it usually alone is unable to provide your hedgehog with all it needs to grow
Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I edited my reply to add in concern about the hedgehog food, it usually alone is unable to provide your hedgehog with all it needs to grow
really? i should feed her more of her natrual diet then

2009-2013
Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
really? i should feed her more of her natrual diet then
A decent quality cat food should be fine, if its the hedgehog food I am thinking of its got by-products which can be anything from an animal beaks, feet, its the leftovers processed and corn isn't very digestible and its early in the listing so supplementing a cat food such as Blue Buffalo Basics will help your hedgehog and maybe even reduce the poop output some adding a new food can increase smell for a bit and should be done slowly but a lot of people who have added a cat food find once the hedgehog tastes it they ignore the hedgehog food. Its likely because the cat foods have real meat and less non needed content.

Unfortunately they have yet to make a really wonderful hedgehog food commercially to stand on its own. I've even seen some which have things that kill hedgehogs.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check out the cat food thread on the nutrition forum for some ideas of what good catfoods are to switch to! There are lots of different foods that are good

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Zoé was really skinny too when I got her, she weighed only 209 grams at 5 1/2 months. What worked for me was adding a kitten food to her cat food mix and giving her more mealworms, about 7 each night. She now wheighs 250 grams at almost 2 years old and is doing great. I suggest weighing your hedgie everyday while you're changing her diet to closely monitor her progress.

Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do you know how much Rose weighs? From her pictures in your signature she doesn't look too skinny to me, but I might be wrong.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I was wondering the same thing, how much does Rose weigh and do you have a picture of her taken from above her to show her shape (preferably with her quills down).

Hedgehogs come in such a range of sizes. I had a health adult that was 296 grams and a healthy adult that was over 750 grams. Are you certain the hedgehog has an hourglass shape and doesn't just have a runner body style? Runners look like twinkies running on stilts.

Runners sometimes can be harder to keep weight on. Add in a little regular cat food instead of the weight management/senior versions, Royal Canin Baby Cat or feed extra mealworms and you can usually maintain their weight.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in