Confused and Wondering - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Confused and Wondering

Hi, I have a few questions about what I have for my hedgie, Dusty, aka Dusters. First and most important, I own Spike's Delight Hedgehog Food which I know is a huge NO to most of you here. What else can I feed him? I'd really like alot of opinions because I only want the best for Dusters. Also, I've seen Ultra Bites for Hedgehogs. It looks OK, but you'd have to visit a factory to really know.

PS- Dusters is very picky, and I try to feed him fruits and veggies to keep him healthy. The only thing I found he'll eat is corn. Any other suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Confused and Wondering

There are lots of threads about food options on here. Most feed their hedgies a mix of high quality cat food. Watch for protein and fat contact where protein should range from 28-33% and fat 10-15% (but I'm not 100% sure on those ranges).
If your hedgie is picky there are some stores that will give you samples so you can try them first before buying a huge bag.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would suggest looking at the cat food list sticky in this section of the forum. Quinn's right on the percentages, and you also want to look for a meat or meat meal as the first ingredient and no corn in the first five. Also no dyes, BHT or BHA, or Ethoxyquin.

As far as treats go, I would definitely avoid the Ultra Bites. There's not much good in them, and there's dangerous things, such as raisins and nuts. Raisins (and grapes) are toxic to hedgehogs, causing kidney failure, and nuts and seeds are choking hazards. Corn's okay as a treat, but also not the best, because it doesn't really provide much nutrition.
Here's a list of fruits and veggies that are safe for hedgies - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fruit+ and+veggie Watermelon is a really popular one! You can also offer plain cooked meats, like turkey and chicken. If you find he won't try a veggie, just wait and offer it again later. Try different ways of offering it, such as cooked, mashed, or as baby food. I've found that Lily will try new veggies a lot more readily if I use a baby food veggie and mix it with turkey or chicken baby food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hello,

Both these ladies gave very good advice and as you have likely read there been many issues with Spike's Delight such as finding bones/plastic in many of the bags.

As far as your mention of not knowing if something is good unless you go to the factory, the good news is all foods have the ingredients listing and you can make choices.

A hedgehog's diet is still very much unclear however most of use here feel most comfortable with high quality cat food that is high in protein (30%ish) and low in fat (15% or less) and a lot prefer to mix a few different cat foods into that mix.

As mentioned there are many high quality cat foods to include meat ingredients such as chicken, turkey, duck, lamb, salmon, etc. Most people feel that you should look for one of those meats as the first ingredient and avoid things in the ingredients such as corn and grain as while corn has nutrients portions are not digestible to hedgehogs and will just increase waste and by-products are just whatever parts of meat from animals.

Your hedgehogs diet and well being is entirely up to you, I will tell you as I've seen posts of people switching from Spike's Delight or another commercial hedgehog food to a good quality cat food with a meat product (should be slowly introduced along side Spike's to reduce upset tummy and poop issues) they tend to not touch the hedgehog food anymore though this is not always the case.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the great info guys. Sounds like I've got a little shopping to do. I want Dusty to have the best, and, thanks to these forums, he can!

PS Sherriff Dusty says thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_00242.jpg (52.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

ahhh he is so cute!
haha sorry i have nothing relevant to contribute, i never have even seen spikes delight only heard bad things on this site about it but it looks like you got plenty of great advice from everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in