For Experienced Breeders/Former Breeders/Owners w/ 2+ Years - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: For Experienced Breeders/Former Breeders/Owners w/ 2+ Years

Quote:
I thought there were too many lists floating around? Seems we have a little bit of a double standard on this forum. Playing favorites is never nice! If you have a rule for one it should be for all.
TWCOGAR asked and got permission to research and start a new diet guideline / list. We've closed and deleted other lists besides yours too. I'm sorry you're unhappy with having your thread closed but this is the one list we're sticking with right now and it's best for new owners not to be confused by 10 different threads all saying different things.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

You should be sorry. You really hurt my feelings with the way you responded like my list was a piece of crap and I've had other members say the same that it was rude. This place really needs to stop playing favorites and start giving a crap about the animals themselves and the more useful information out there the better! It is totally discouraging for the new comers. Not a single animal message board I am on treats members like this one. It's really a shame.

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Here we go again. Why is it whenever someone doesn't like something that happens on here they say we play favourites. There is no playing favourites here. Had you asked if you could make a new food list you would have been denied. Had you asked prior to TWOCGAR asking, you would have been given permission. This is simply a case of,TWOCGAR asked first and since we already have a new improved food list in the works we don't need another.

TWOCGAR did ask some time ago, was given permission to do a new food list and has been given a few suggestions on how to make it the best food list possible. He is trying to do far more than simply stating food ingredients. He will be compiling information given by hopefully many people on foods they have tried over the years, had success with, failures and what seems to work best for their hedgehogs. His list will be based on the experiences of many both veteran owners as well as new people. Hopefully he will get a good result from his survey. Once it is finished, the other food list or lists will be removed. All multiple lists do is confuse people as often they contradict one another.

Hopefully, if enough people participate, maybe it will show some patterns in the health of the hedgehogs on certain foods.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hey, I was just curious if the new list will include wet foods. Typically hedgies don't eat wet foods unless they are having trouble with teeth, but I've been looking for wet foods within the protein guidelines but with higher fat. Izzy and Harvey both need to gain weight. Just curious. It's not a big deal to calculate dry matter unless you're stuck in the cat food isle for two hours looking at every can.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hahaha I agree with Rainy. I wanted to give some wet food for a treat every once and a while. And I was looking at so many cans and reading ingredients and labels that I just gave up. I pretty much have the guidelines of hedgie food requirements mesmerized but I want to make sure I get the best. So a wet cat food list would be appreciated...hint, hint TWCOGAR. lol
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn
Hahaha I agree with Rainy. I wanted to give some wet food for a treat every once and a while. And I was looking at so many cans and reading ingredients and labels that I just gave up. I pretty much have the guidelines of hedgie food requirements mesmerized but I want to make sure I get the best. So a wet cat food list would be appreciated...hint, hint TWCOGAR. lol
To calculate dry matter protein, minus the amount of moisture from 100%, then divide the stated protein by the result you got from minusing the moisture. Then multiply that result by 100% and you have your answer

Here's a link that explains it in more detail: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing- ... ter-basis/

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Great! thanks for the link!!!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

If anyone here thinks we play favorites, then you are wrong. A long time ago I was approached about updating Reaper's food list as it is very outdated. I told TWCOGAR to give it a shot and lets see what he comes up with. There is no need for multiple lists, especially if those lists contain the same information. Work together, create a joint list, we are a community afterall.

Wet foods cannot be compared to dry foods without doing some math. The %s are skewed because of the water content, you have to convert both to dry matter basis. Most dry foods are 10% water, wet foods can be 90% water. To try to compare without converting to dry matter basis is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are foods, but no where near being the same thing.

I think there are many of us who have our own lists. I have one that I add to whenever I come across a new food. Mine contains the basics (protein, fat, etc) plus kcal/KG, fiber, Carb %, and shape. I also have formulas installed so that I can pick different foods and have it tell me what %s I'm really feeding as an even mix, or if I raise/lower one products amount in the mix. I add to it whenever I come across new foods, and whenever I have a specific dietary need.

Mine is created to help me figure out which foods I can feed to different health conditions. For example, I use the carb % when I have one who has cancer, I concentrate on the kcal/kg when I have one that needs more calories, etc.

I do not rely on anyone else here for food lists.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

Indeed and while I will eventually develop a easy non bias food listing of recommendations i am more excited about potentially linking some healthy things with diets to hedgehogs

Right now my concentration is on the Primary Diet and the Supplemental Diet common to hedgehogs I will look towards wet food eventually though
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks for answering. I'll continue to take my calculator to the pet food isle. The employees probably think I'm a mystery shopper looking for problems in their store.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in