Creating New Dry Cat Food List 3.0 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Creating New Dry Cat Food List 3.0

I wanted to get permission from one of the administrators to which I have before posting this asking all hedgehog owners that wish to suggest foods for the new listing I am compiling.

This listing will follow the HHC guidelines of Less than 32% Fat and Less than 15% Fat and include first and foremost ingredients to which will not include corn or wheat as the highly recommended.

I will still include some of the good quality foods that do have corn and/or wheat in a separate section cause I am aware of many quality breeders who mix some that don't follow the above specified guidelines and I want to include those choices on the listing as well.

I also will make a smaller separate listing for under six months and/or highly active hedgehogs that require a high fat content diet.

All listed foods will contain the following information:

- Name of Food
- Ingredients
- Crude Analysis (Protein, Fat, Fiber, Moisture)

I would like to request that anyone would would like to provide their mixes of foods which meet these qualifications to do so, while I will be going through every cat food for the information if you provide the names, ingredients, and crude analysis it will help me expedite the process even a small amount.

I'd prefer you email it to me or PM me the information if you can assist me with your information so we can provide a better listing for owners.

email - [email protected]
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Creating New Dry Cat Food List 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
I wanted to get permission from one of the administrators to which I have before posting this asking all hedgehog owners that wish to suggest foods for the new listing I am compiling.

This listing will follow the HHC guidelines of Less than 32% Protein and Less than 15% Fat and include first and foremost ingredients to which will not include corn or wheat as the highly recommended.

I will still include some of the good quality foods that do have corn and/or wheat in a separate section cause I am aware of many quality breeders who mix some that don't follow the above specified guidelines and I want to include those choices on the listing as well.

I also will make a smaller separate listing for under six months and/or highly active hedgehogs that require a high fat content diet.

All listed foods will contain the following information:

- Name of Food
- Ingredients
- Crude Analysis (Protein, Fat, Fiber, Moisture)

I would like to request that anyone would would like to provide their mixes of foods which meet these qualifications to do so, while I will be going through every cat food for the information if you provide the names, ingredients, and crude analysis it will help me expedite the process even a small amount.

I'd prefer you email it to me or PM me the information if you can assist me with your information so we can provide a better listing for owners.

email - [email protected]
TYPO Correction Less than 32% Protein and Less than 15% Fat*
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

great idea...i will happily contribute all that i have used in my mixes... i will email &/or post as full list ASAP.
rivoli256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I made a list of over 70 cat foods and their protein, fat, fiber, moisture and first 5. It's all colour coded for under 6 months/runner, over 6 months, meat in first 2 ingredients and warning for fish. I can upload it onto here.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienHedgie
I made a list of over 70 cat foods and their protein, fat, fiber, moisture and first 5. It's all colour coded for under 6 months/runner, over 6 months, meat in first 2 ingredients and warning for fish. I can upload it onto here.
You can and I'll just add the rest of the ingredients to the listing as its important to know them all on an individual hedgehog basis you may identify things they area allergic or otherwise prone to illness to. I wouldn't want someone to know something has an issue and look at the list see the first five and end up with a sick hedgie
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good quality foods with corn in them? I'm pretty sure there are none.

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Breeders use some food still with them including ones here if I am not mistaken and they take wonderful care of hedgehogs

I believe corn is a undigested product and the list will incorporate warnings stating such thing, I want a full complete list not a almost complete list
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Breeders use some food still with them including ones here if I am not mistaken and they take wonderful care of hedgehogs

I believe corn is a undigested product and the list will incorporate warnings stating such thing, I want a full complete list not a almost complete list
Whether breeders use it or not corn in my opinion does not belong in any animal's food really.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... food-corn/

I understand that want for a complete, I'd just make that clear on the list for those who may not know a lot about animal nutrition.

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

You can take wonderful care of a hedgehog and still feed it crappy food. Just wanted to throw that out there.

By a "complete list", what do you mean? A complete list of every cat food that people on HHC feed their hedgehogs? Or a complete list of acceptable cat foods with good ingredients and a guaranteed analysis in the right ball park? Just because a breeder feeds it to their hedgehogs, doesn't mean the food is good... look at *ahem* Vickie's Hedgehogs. Or the breeder I got Milly from, who feeds all of his hedgehogs, babies and adults, one kind of Purina (first few ingredients are poultry by-product meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal. Umm... ew).

I guess I'm just curious what the point of including the crappy foods in the list is, other than the fact that some breeders feed them to their hedgies lol

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
Quote:

You can take wonderful care of a hedgehog and still feed it crappy food. Just wanted to throw that out there.

By a "complete list", what do you mean? A complete list of every cat food that people on HHC feed their hedgehogs? Or a complete list of acceptable cat foods with good ingredients and a guaranteed analysis in the right ball park? Just because a breeder feeds it to their hedgehogs, doesn't mean the food is good... look at *ahem* Vickie's Hedgehogs. Or the breeder I got Milly from, who feeds all of his hedgehogs, babies and adults, one kind of Purina (first few ingredients are poultry by-product meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal. Umm... ew).

I guess I'm just curious what the point of including the crappy foods in the list is, other than the fact that some breeders feed them to their hedgies lol
I am aware of LarryT and others feeding food a lot of people here consider crap and I want to note very respectable people use them and have very happy and healthy hedgehogs.

I am aware of corn issues very much thank you for informing me of something I know.

My list was pretty much going to be exactly like Canadians and I had asked for permission to even do it from one of the admins here.

I was going to have the highly recommended foods and then young and active hedgehog foods and then good or lesser foods which are widely used with no real issues by breeders who are good, Spike's Delight is crap I am aware.

Purina Chicken and Rice is actually used by many very respected breeders from what I know of, and if you look a lot of the breeders here will even post to saying they use such things in their mix.

I felt it was just something to note in the list but with proper explanation on the topic to why these are typically avoided.

I will be requesting this topic closed because I really don't want this to turn into some flame war because of what is or isn't best as I have stated Hedgehog health and Diet has come a long way but IMHO its still no where near where it needs to be so many unknowns and I am certain I and everyone is still making little mistakes which will happens for years still to come.

All i wanted to do was provide a updated list to help our community and nothing more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in