Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How much does your hedgehog eat per night? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10694)

sadolakced 06-26-2011 01:24 PM

How much does your hedgehog eat per night?

So I was wondering if people had information about how much their hedgehogs were eating each night.

Right now, for my 6 week old (150 g), I put out 25 grams of food and she eats 11 grams a night.

DexterTheHog 06-26-2011 08:17 PM

Re: How much does your hedgehog eat per night?

my baby since i got him (he was 170g and is now about 300g) eats 2tbsp of food per night (unless i give him meal worms, then he only eats about 1tbsp)
He's a piggy :lol:

Lilysmommy 06-26-2011 08:50 PM

49 Attachment(s)
Lily (3 years old, 500 grams) eats 10-20 kibble, 5 crickets, a tablespoon of mixed baby food, and usually a few treats (different kinds, cut into pieces about the size of her kibble). She also sometimes gets 1-2 mealies. The kibble amount depends on if she liked that night's treats or not, how big her crickets were, and if she finished all of her baby food (which she usually does).

shaelikestaquitos 06-26-2011 10:55 PM

Kashi (~1 year old, 360 grams) eats anywhere from 35-45 kibble per night + 8-15 mealies per night as well :)

06-26-2011 11:26 PM

Feral is a picky eater but she loves her regular diet of Blue Cat Food which she downs probably around 40 ea night, she hates mealies and crickets and thus far the only safe treat she loves is watermelon and she will eat a decent size piece every few days, I don't like to indulge too much fruit in her diet.

Kalandra 06-27-2011 12:12 PM

Someone else who actually weighs the food! For those with kibble counts, what size food are we talking about? Feldiae size? Fromm size?

Mine currently eat about 6 grams of kibble a night. They are seniors, so it maintains them just fine. When younger, it was closer to 9-10 grams.

I like that you are giving her nearly double what she is eating. Gives her plenty of extra should she go into a growing spurt and need it.

hercsmom 06-27-2011 12:58 PM

Herc eats about 60-70 kibbles a night. That's usually how I can tell he is getting sick too, because his appetite drops down to 30-40 kibbles a night right before he gets a URI. The kibbles are all somewhat similar in size (he's currently on a 4-way mix of Innova, Chicken Soup Light, Blue Spa Select Light, and NB green pea and duck).

hedgiebuddy 07-02-2011 01:06 PM

@lilysmommy, what kind of baby food do you feed her? i didnt know what kind you can feed hedgehogs. :? :?:

Lilysmommy 07-02-2011 01:16 PM

49 Attachment(s)
I keep meaning to update my input on this post with the weight of Lily's food and keep forgetting to weigh it! I'll try to remember to do it tonight.

For baby food, I just get whatever, usually. I know organic is better, and do usually look in the organic section first, but I've gotten other foods if they have different veggies or something. The brands I have right now are Gerber (organic and regular), BeechNut Homestyle, and Earth's Best Organic. I do try to avoid any foods that have citrus fruits or corn in them.

hedgiethehedgehog 12-17-2013 10:23 AM

How much should my 5 month old hedgehog weigh & how much should I feed him he's currently on earthborn holistic (recommended by pet store) thx