How much does your hedgehog eat per night? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This thread is over two years old - it's best to start your own topic for a question in the future rather than bringing up old threads.

There's no way to tell exactly how much a hedgehog should weigh - there's too great of a range. They can be anywhere from 250 grams to 1000 grams and be perfectly healthy, depending on the hedgehog. If you're unsure if he's at a healthy weight, the best way to get second opinions would be to start a new topic and post some pictures of him from the side and above so we can see his body shape.

Free-feeding is recommended for pretty much all hedgehogs on this forum, unless there's a severe weight issue. However, you also want to keep track of how much he eats, since going off food is an early sign of illness. Put out at least 2-3 tablespoons and see if he eats it all. If he does, add a little more the next night, and so on until there's a little bit of food left (for extra hungry nights, or a mid-day snack the next day). Then you won't be wasting a lot of food, but you'll know he's getting enough to eat.

Side note about your food: Which formula are you feeding? The Feline Vantage formula looks pretty good, but the other two formulas are too high in protein.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've had my Hedgie since he was just 125g. He started getting a syringe full (20mml) of liquidised puppy food every 3-4 hours. He's now over 850g and polished off around 80g of raw beef mince, a handfull of whole grain cheerios and about two tablespoons of fish-free cat pellets per night. I have no idea if this is enough, or too much. All I know is he sleeps all day, comes out each night to eat, and he's blowing up like a balloon. Presumably he won't come out so often during winter and might lose a bit of his blubber?
Harry Hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is your hedgehog a pet African hedgehog or is he a wild European hedgehog? Are you keeping him in your house?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in