Picky baby won't try new food - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Picky baby won't try new food

Herbie is 6 weeks old as of today and I have been trying to feed him some treats. He eats his Purina kitten food just fine, but he won't try anything new. I tried strawberries with no response at all and even a hedgie favorite, mealworms. He sniffed and licked the mealworm, but wouldnt eat it. I even broke one in half(got guts all over me ew!) And rubbed it gently on his nose. He licked his nose and seemed to like it, but I still couldn't get him to eat the worm. I set a few in with his normal food, but I don't think he's eating them. Any suggestions on getting him to try something new?
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

At this point, everything is new. Just make sure he's getting settled and eating for the next couple of weeks, then try the mealworms again. Remember to try one new food at a time, to avoid tummy upsets.

It sometimes takes a few tries before they will eat something new. And then sometimes they will quit eating something they used to like.

They are spikey toddlers.
Ally's_Oliver likes this.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I will just keep trying. You are right about the little brats being like human kids haha!

Old 04-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

My hedgehog wouldn't eat anything but his normal food at first either. I think they are just trying to hold on what's comfortable to them. Give him a little time, he might come around and begin eating a huge variety like mine did. My friends hedgehog, who is much older than mine, however, never became interested in any other foods. Every hedgehog is different.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well let's hope he's not going to be picky I want him to have a healthy diet and a variety of things he likes.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

It took my hedgie 4 months to try new foods. I consistently offered until she finally tried something. Now her two favorite treats are mealworms and ground turkey.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cool I might try the turkey. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In my opinion, it'd be a good idea to focus on letting him get used to his new home right now, and then before you continue trying new treats, switch him to a better quality food. Most Purina foods are pretty awful and it'd be more beneficial to get him on a healthy main food right now than to get him eating lots of other treats. Here are a couple of stickies that explain more about what to look for & what brands are good to look at - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html and https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html

As MomLady said, only one new food at a time - so if you start introducing a new food to replace Purina, that means no other new treats during that time. Make sure you switch over slowly, over 2-4 weeks. If you decide to mix together two or more foods, introduce each food separately.
MomLady likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I checked the bag label and the ingredients seem fine. He seems to really like it too... I don't really want to risk him refusing to eat if I change the food. Its specialized for kittens and a book my mom bought for hedgie care stated what I should look for in the food.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Which food is it, if I can ask? Purina does have some okay lines, but most aren't good. To be honest, most hedgehog care books are pretty out of date and many have incorrect and even harmful information in them, which is why I'm asking. I just want to make sure you haven't gotten incorrect advice from the book, just in case.

It's also a good idea to do a mix of two or more foods for the reason that you're nervous about - some hedgies are so picky that it can cause a food strike if you run out of the food they're used to & have to suddenly change for some reason (recall, food shortage, etc.). If you have two foods that your hedgie is used to, even if one becomes unavailable, at least you still have one that they'll eat. So even if you stick with the one you have, I would still really recommend mixing in a second good quality food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in