Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - An Update on Mac & Dougie (mites)
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Alastrina

Send a message via MSN to Alastrina
Default An Update on Mac & Dougie (mites)

Mac and Dougie are responding very positively to their treatments so far!

Tomorrow's full on bath will tell just how much their skin has improved; aside from checking for reddened areas I haven't messed with them yes since they just had their first dose of Revolution this past Friday and I wanted to let it soak in good.

I want to give them a gentle bath and loosen some of the dead skin on their backs and around the base of their quills. Their skin is so dry and flakey right now I can't hardly see the new quills growing in, but boy are there a lot of them, especially on Mac! I swear he has two dozen in various stages of growing in, and that's just what I can see. Dougie did not lose that many quills, maybe 10 so far, so he's not quite so naked looking on the bum end as Mr. Mac.

After tomorrow's bath they will get a thorough cage cleaning and all of their liners and accessories washed with soap and then with bleach before being rinsed again and dried. I take this mess very seriously. I will not let these little bugs mess with my babies!

I had been wondering for a day or two prior to finding the signs of mites on Mac and Dougie why Mac was being so ornery, he had been coming out of his shell and then he seemed to go right back into it. I think I would too if I was so itchy! A few hours after his Revolution dose he was back to being his snuggly adventurous self, at least more so to me.

Both boys are running on their wheels like maniacs every night and eating very well.

Mac is down a few grams, only 4 grams outside of his normal low-end fluctuations (he's between the high 470's and low 470's) and Dougie is stable at anywhere from 270 to 280. I weight them at about the same time every night at what I can assume is a pre-potty time because they are asleep when I get them out for health checks before I go to sleep.

As I said they're eating great, I've even conned Dougie into eating a little bit of one of the cat food and baby food mixes I made and froze in an ice cube tray; Castor & Pollux Organix Chicken with squash baby food and a little bit of chicken baby food with some rice cereal, bene-bac, and Booster. He won't eat much, but it's a start for my little one that won't even eat bugs! Otherwise Dougie eats a combination of Pat's Mix and RC Babycat, so is average fat percentage is like 22% >_< It's amazing he's not the size of a Koosh ball ^_^

Mac eats a combination of Pat's Mix and the Lite Mix by Dorman Exotics. His total fat percentage is more around 15-17% which is better to lose a little bit and then maintain a healthier weight since he was starting to develop the hump of fat between his shoulders. He can still ball up very tight, so I'm less worried about weight loss and more about keeping him stable, and he was gaining on just the Pat's Mix alone. Mac eats anything "special" I give him; mealies, his baby food mixs I made up a few weeks ago, etc. He's not stranger to loving his munchies! I'm happy he's so active though, he could be a little chubbers AND be lazy too.

Water consumption is good. Cage temps are good (76 for Mac, 80 for Dougie) which is a huge relief for me since winter is about to hit us hard this weekend with night time temps in the 30's. I also have a guardian angel for my guys sending me CHE systems, and then I will buy the thermostats for them and Mac and Dougie will have CHE's once winter really does set in. Right now they both have heating pads, but that is a temporary solution at best; Dougie will likely always need his on a very low setting under his hidey place, and Mac might appreciate it in the winter months, but they're just not designed to heat the air, and I can't find a good electric blanket for less than $50; I can get the two thermostats I need for $60!

And that's what's going on with my boys!

As for me, I'm working things out with the school; I appealed to take the course I flopped over again, I hope they let me! In the meantime I did something really boneheaded on the job and thought I was going to get fired, but I'm told by my boss he likes me so I'm safe. Whew!

Now, off to bed for me and morning runs for the guys.

~Katie

Rest in Peace Charley, you will always be my heart <3
Alastrina is offline   Reply With Quote