Hedgehog Central banner

Hot House Heating Issue

934 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SnufflePuff 
#1 ·
Hello, I've read many posts on heating a hedgie's house and already have experience with thermostats and installing dimmer switches on heat lamps ( I'm a reptile enthusiast), but hedgies sound pretty delicate when it comes to heating. My problem is that my house temperature is controlled by my landlord and it's always set high on top of my windows getting full sun in the morning. It's so hot in here that I can't work out without opening a door into the cold morning or I overheat really fast. But the temperature fluctuates from around 73-76 degrees. I used a full wattage heat bulb and experimented with CHE in this house and the temperatures always ended up in the high 90s. I did a dimmer switch a few times, but then just bought low wattage heat bulbs and that did the trick. The reason why this won't work for my C&C cage is that low wattage heat bulbs won't give enough coverage, I think. What would you guys suggest? I'm reluctant to buy something with as much heating oomph as a CHE with such a warm house already, the thermostat would be turning it on and off constantly.

#2 ·
It sounds like your house is warm enough already although some hedgehogs do need a bit warmer, but it's the fluctuations that aren't good for them either.

A small CHE on a thermostat wouldn't get too hot and yes the thermostat turns it on and off constantly, but that's perfectly safe and it takes the guessing work out of it for you. I would get at least a lower wattage one on a thermostat to be safe. You'll also want to put thermometers in the cage to check that it's staying warm enough (you can get ones with memory functions and that way you'll know how much it's fluctuating). Better safe than sorry!

Also make sure you have 12-14 hours of light and that it's a regular schedule too, that is another big one that can cause hibernation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.