Should I get a CHE? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I get a CHE?

I'm from Texas, and it stays relatively hot here with the exception of a few months in the winter. As its already starting to warm up, I wasn't too concerned about an additional heat source; especially since I am anemic and usually keep my house pretty warm as I chill easily. However, I'm not sure whether or not I should purchase a CHE just in case. Do those of you who live in warmer states use yours year around? And where can I get the bulb, lamp, and thermostat at a reasonable price?
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Personally I always recommend that even people in warmer states have a CHE set up on hand, just in case. I know of people in Florida that either use theirs year-round (if they keep their house cooler), or have one on hand for emergencies (and have had to use it before). IMO, it's better to have it on hand and ready to go than to suddenly have something come up & be panicking over getting all of the supplies quickly. Especially because it's cheapest to get everything online, on Amazon, which takes a couple days for delivery.

It's true that you may not need it for the majority of the year with your usual temperatures and keeping your house warm. But you may have bouts in the winter of unusually cool weather where you may need it, or your hedgie might end up becoming temperature-sensitive suddenly, and you'll need it to keep their cage warmer than you may have your house. Those are good occasions to have a CHE on hand.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know what you mean. Texas weather can be unpredictable. I do have a stash of self warming packs for emergencies, but that won't be enough for long term use. CHEs seem to be a safer and more reliable means of heating, but I'm not quite sure of which wattage would be best for my cage (it's rather small approx. 5 sqft.). Additionally, I've read that you can get your Hedgie too hot and stress him out but have found different answers. What would you say is too hot for them to be comfortable?
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

My thoughts are that its better to have a heat set up and not need it than to not have it and need it.
MomLady likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What are the dimensions? You might be okay with only one 10" lamp and a 100-watt bulb, but sometimes for longer cages, you get more even heating by using two lamps.

Yes, hedgehogs can get too hot. The temperature for that varies a lot by individual hedgehog, just as the "too low" temp does. Usually most will do okay up to 80* or so, I think. Over 80* is pushing it for many hedgehogs. Some like cooler temps better and can get too warm at 78*. And some, like my Lily, need it warmer, even up to 81*. She was never too bothered even when it was up to 85-86* in my room, though I always got worried and kept a close eye on her when temps were that high. Just keep an eye on your hedgie and you'll learn what they find comfortable. Signs of being too warm include lethargy & less activity, possibly less eating, sometimes drinking more, and splatting out on their stomach to try & cool off.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
che, heating, texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in