2 150 watt CHEs and STILL not warm - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2015, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 150 watt CHEs and STILL not warm

So I have a 2x4 C&C cage and 2 150w CHEs PLUS a space heater and I still can only get the cage to consistently stay around 73. This is with all these things constantly on. I cover up all the sides of the C&C except where the lamps are. I'm running out of ideas here...any suggestions?

SirQuilliam907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 04:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

What temperature is the room normally?

How far away vertically are the CHEs from the cage floor? I find the heat tapers off pretty quickly when they're not used in cages made from solid glass or plastic. If you can, try moving them down a little. I've found a few centimeters can make a huge difference at times. You can also place one CHE above your hedgie's favorite hide, and if it's plastic it will do the greenhouse thing and should warm it up well. Watch for insanely high temperatures with this method though! (One more, silly thing to try: hover your hand two inches below the CHE bulbs. Are they warm? I bought one that didn't produce heat once.)

What are you covering the walls with? Definitely use something with insulating properties, like a thick blanket. I've used the tiles from drop ceilings in the past and they insulate quite well too. And you can punch holes in them fairly easily to attach them to the cage.

Does your space heater have a temperature setting? If it does, and you're using it in a small-medium sized room, it should be helping a lot more than it is. Again, try moving it a little closer. The one I have is set for 74 and is across the room from Finn, but it on its own is able to keep temperatures above the hibernation zone. Try placing a thermometer a few feet in front of it and checking that the number matches the one on the heater.

Are you using multiple thermometers? It could be defective and lying to you.

Hopefully something in there helps!
Lilysmommy likes this.
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where is your probe for the thermostat?

I was having that same problem and the probe had fallen on the floor.

Like suggested above, check to see if the CHEs are actually producing heat.

If you bump up the setting on the thermosat will it get warmer? The settings are just there for a general guideline and are not very accurate.

Yeah, and check the thermometer too, if you can put another one in there to check it.

You can also double check all the wiring just to make sure nothing has become lose or fallen out.

How warm is the room? Is it on an outside wall? Is the cage on the floor? Sometimes you can get the temp up by putting the cage on a table or shelf.

RIP dearest Rana 4-19-15 --12-12-19, I will miss you forever

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in