CHE package deal anywhere? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CHE package deal anywhere?

anyone know where I can buy the CHE total set up (bulb, dome, and thermostat) as a package deal? I don't wanna spend more than I have too, (getting this cage set up was expensive enough!)
wheeluh_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: CHE package deal anywhere?

They sell all the pieces on Amazon, so they are slightly cheaper than list price and since its more than $25 it ships for free

grumpyface2 by obortrin, on Flickr
pokybaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I bought mine off Amazon, and even though they didn't discount all three together, they do offer their free 'Super Saver Shipping'. It's supposed to take longer (like 7-10 days as opposed to 3-5) but all my stuff got there really quick. If you have a few extra days to spare then maybe this would be a good option? I know it doesn't take much off, but every little bit helps!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
They sell all the pieces on Amazon, so they are slightly cheaper than list price and since its more than $25 it ships for free
Oh, you beat me to it! This is what I'm referring to.

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, another vote for Amazon.
CAPTAIN: It's a small, spiky mammal.
CRONE: No... that's a hedgehog!
CAPTAIN: In that case we wish to engage you in ships cook and hedgehog.
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

One more vote for Amazon and also about their shipping: I usually don't qualify for the Super Saver Shipping...maybe cuz I'm in Canada?? I always opt for the slower, cheaper shipping (7-10 days) but have never had it take longer than 5...even to waaaaaaaay up here.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

So I finally got his CHE set up at local pet stores (I know, could've saved more with Amazon, but felt I needed to get this stuff pronto). I got a 8.5 in. Fluker's clamp lamp (that has a dimmer switch..that i leave ON all the time), a 100 Watt CHE bulb, and ZooMed ReptiTemp Rheostat.

I know, a Rheostat isn't the BEST choice as opposed to the 500R Thermostat. The pet stores, both Feeder's Supply and PetSmart, didn't have the Thermostat..which genuinely bummed me out.

I ended up getting a thermometer from Walmart that has an outside temperature sensor, and used that to determine his cage temp and to monitor the apartment's temp to see the difference.

I've got the CHE set up on the outside wall, pointed down into his main play area. I've got the thermometer about a foot and a half away on the same wall, down at the hedgehog's level. I suppose my next question would be, how can I be sure the temp in the cage is what the sensor is telling me? Should I place it in the back of the cage, as far away from the CHE as possible? Does it need to be a certain distance from the CHE to truly gauge its effectiveness?
wheeluh_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

Please refer to his link:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2hqxuld.jpg

In case you didn't know, a rheostat and a thermostat are not the same thing- Rheostats dim power, but thermostas turn it on/off. If an enclosure is getting too warm, then a Rheostat won't really do much, because they do not turn heat off.

Also, 8.5 inch lamp won't project heat as much as a 10 inch lamp would, I would put the thermometer in the middle of the cage (but against the wall of the cage.. not smack in the middle of the floor) and put the probe of the rheostat in a corner of the cage.

But like i said, rheostats aren't adequate for hedgie use, as the CHE will frequenly overheat with a rheostat.

If you can, I recommend that you return the rheostat, and order a thermostat online.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

The only way a rheostat will work for a CHE is if you are there to check it every hour or so and adjust it to keep the temp steady, otherwise, as the room warms up the rheostat will keep putting out the same amount of heat and the cage will get hotter. The reverse will happen when the room cools down at night.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

IMO, having a rheostat is MORE dangerous and deadly than having nothing at all.

At least when you have nothing at all, you KNOW that you have nothing and will constantly worry about it until you fix it.

With a rheostat, you will worry for the first day or so, then figure that it seems to be working just as well as a thermostat, and forget about it. Then the temperatures will suddenly drop, and the heat emitted remains the same, and the cage temperature drops, causing possible hibernation attempts. We've been getting random warm spikes too, and again, the rheostat won't adjust accordingly, and you could end up with an overheated hedgehog going into estivation.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in