Advice on heating cage - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on heating cage

Hello fellow Hedgie Owners,

I have this little heating thing that the pet store I got my hedgehog at uses and it doesn't really heat up her whole cage. I have a thermostat in her cage just to track the temperature and it ranges from 21-24 degrees celsius. I cut open a slot to put that heating equipment in her little hut that she sleeps in, and the temperature goes up to 30 degrees celsius. But that's just in her little home. Is it okay if it goes up to 30 degrees celsius where she sleeps, but the rest of her cage is a little cooler?
RCarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

No, it isn't. If the sleeping area is warmer than the rest of the cage, the hedgehog can be tempted to just stay where it's cozy & not go about their usual business at night. If they do go out of their sleeping area, the change in temperature can be enough to trigger a hibernation attempt. The whole cage needs to be heated to the same temperature. 30*C is too high as well. 24*C for the whole cage would be much better, to see how she does. If she does need it warmer, you can try bumping it up to 25* or 26*. Check out the sticky on heating, it has information on ceramic heat emitter set ups, which is what you need. There's lots of information on them in other heating threads as well, including links to equipment.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also, dumb question but....on the thermostat, is the temperature I'm setting it to.......to turn off the heater or turn it on?
RCarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup! If you set it to say, 75*, when the temperature dips down to 74*, the thermostat will turn the heater on. When the temperature goes up to 76*, then it'll turn the heater back off. It'll do so as needed to keep the temperature as steady at 75* as possible.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in