urgh! first heating issues now cooling =/ - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By Nancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default urgh! first heating issues now cooling =/

Ok so after the madness of two or so weeks ago of trying to get heating stuff to make sure I don't freeze Crowleys quills off, last night I had to make sure she didn't burn =/

If been feeling ill so when it "felt" warm last night, I thought it was just me but checked Crowleys temp anyway just to be safe as always only for her thermometer to read 85 working its way to 90 =(

After turning a fan on didn't help I ended up having to move the poor girl out into the living room even though she always sleeps in my room with me. Ha.... stupid weather, make up your mind hot or cold!!!!!!

Blah! Someone should make a thermometer that has an alarm that will go off when it reaches a certain temp so you can adjust heating and cooling or whatever. You know even just make a couple bleeping noies when it reaches 85 .

The good news is that it was cooler in the living room and Crowley didn't seem bothered by the extra heat- ate and drank like normal, but wasn't happy about being moved in the middle of the night and not being near mommy( and unfortunately for her in this case it's for her own good and hopefully for only one night) anyway, I guess I just sorta needed to rant. I hate this time of year for weather and having a temp sensitive pet didn't really help with that =p
Crowley is loved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Usually too warm is easier for them to deal with than too cold, which is at least some comfort. Glad she didn't seem bothered by the ordeal! I would avoid turning a fan on in the future though - having drafts, even warm ones, isn't good.

I think they do have thermometers that alert when the temperature goes out of the specified range, but I'm not sure if specific brands or anything. I just know I've heard of them before...Maybe from Kalandra? I'll try to look at some point & let you know if I find something.
Crowley is loved likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

There are thermometers that alert when the temperature goes above or below a set temperature. I have a couple but was never very impressed with the kind I have. Mine were complicated and required reading the instructions each time to set, and the set temperature seemed to have a wide variance before it would go off. I used them for one winter and never again.

Yes, I agree with Kelsey, I do think Kalandra has them which I'm sure work well. Also, I'm sure anything newer that's on the market would work far better than what I have.

I have 2 remote sensor thermometers. One sensor sits on top of Samson's cage in the hedgie room which is heated by an oil filled space heater. Herbie who is in my bedroom with heat emitters, the sensor is in his cage. I absolutely LOVE these thermometers. The reading part displays up to 3 remotes. Since I have two sets, I keep one remote in the living room, and the other beside my bed. What is nice about these is, the sensor part that reads the temperature, also displays the temperature. Many of them don't.

There are many remote thermostats available now and I'm sure there are some that have an alarm.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Usually too warm is easier for them to deal with than too cold, which is at least some comfort. Glad she didn't seem bothered by the ordeal! I would avoid turning a fan on in the future though - having drafts, even warm ones, isn't good.

I think they do have thermometers that alert when the temperature goes out of the specified range, but I'm not sure if specific brands or anything. I just know I've heard of them before...Maybe from Kalandra? I'll try to look at some point & let you know if I find something.
Thank you =) yeah, I put the fan by the door hoping to cool the whole room a little. I'm use to birds so anytime we deal with fans and air conditioners e first thought is always " make sure it be a draft for birds" =p

I'll also keep an eye out for them. The only one I could find would turn on a light when it got too hot but that wouldn't work =/
Crowley is loved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in