Heating a C&C Cage - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heating a C&C Cage

Hi all! I'm in the process of building a C&C apartment building for my 3 guys and I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to heat it? We keep our house around 73 degrees and they have heating pads, and I have some of the stuff to do a CHE lamp, but I'm worried about it making the bars of the cage too hot or melting plastic.

I'm also trying to find coroplast to line the cage with when the initial construction is done (tonight if all goes well). Does anyone have any recommendations for something other than coroplast if I can't find it?

Thanks!!!

HedgehogsAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Heating a C&C Cage

I just built my C&C cage last night! I managed to find coroplast at Home Depot. If the layouts are the same from store to store, it should be around aisle 22 or 23 near the doors and windows. One big sheet of 48" x 92" (I believe those were the measurements - it was the biggest sheet there and the only one that wasn't too small) was all I needed and was about $20 (Canadian). It was enough to cover the floor and all 4 sides. I secured them to the frames with zip ties.

I'm using a space heater to heat the room that my guy is in and is about 2 or 3 feet away from the cage. It heats the room to a comfortable temperature (73F) but doesn't get hot enough at that distance to melt or warp anything.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
I secured them to the frames with zip ties.]

If you make the coroplast out of single sheet, like the picture above, you won't need to make it out of multiple sheets. Then you can lift the coroplast tray out of the cubes and clean it much easier.
Great instructions are HERE. but 6 inches isnt enough. 8+ is recommended for hedgies.

Heating pads are not a suitable heater for hedgies. It doesn't heat the air. a CHE is safe so long as it is mounted properly. an oil filled radiator or space heater will work also. I recommend these if you are looking to heat multiple cages.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was at Home Depot last night and no one seemed to know what I was talking about lol

Now my concern with a space heater is leaving it on unattended at night r during the day when I'm at work.
The heating pads are just for extra floor warmth.

The cage, when done be similar to Gnarly's. 4 floors with the first being for storage.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

My brother is a paramedic firefighter. I asked his opinion on space heaters. He said in general so long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions you should be okay.

Oil filled radiators are a really safe option so long as you keep it on the wheel/stand it comes with and keep it a safe distance (varies per unit) from the wall/drapes etc.

CHE is very safe and I've never heard of them causing a fire or anything. However they aren't best for multiple cages. the dome of the lamp is intended to project heat downwards so it doesn't work well when on its side. Plus it can be very expensive to provide 3 CHE set ups (CHE, Lamp, and themostat).
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got a bit of the same response at Home Depot too. I asked if they had Coroplast and got a blank look. Asked for corogated plastic sheets "like the make signs out of" and suddenly they knew what I was talking about.

I wanted to go with the single piece that I could fold but I relaised that I'd never be able to fit the single 48" x 92" sheet in my car so I had to get them to cut it down for me.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I tried all kinds of explanations for what I was looking for and kept getting sent either to the plastic drop cloth aisle or the plexiglass aisle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in