Ideal Hedgehog Temperature. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By DesireeM81

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ideal Hedgehog Temperature.

From reading through this site and others I've seen quite a wide range of temperatures for Hedgehog comfort zones. The largest being around 72 to 82 degrees. Being very, very new to hedgehog ownership, and worrying about hibernation issues, I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the subject. Also, I've read some people say that specific hedgehogs had temperatures that they liked better than others. If that's the case how do I find out what temperature my hedgehog likes best? I currently have a 24 hour Hi/Low thermometer setup outside of our hedgehog, Piper's cage. The low reading has gotten down to 74 and the high so far has been 78 with an average of around 76. Is this in the acceptable range? Would she do better at a different temperature? How can I tell? Right now she's adjusting to her first night with us and she's curled up hiding under her sleep sack. Not really sure what to look for or expect from her since I expect she's doing a lot of adjusting at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ECraven9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

72-82 is pretty spot on. Personally I wouldn't go any lower than that and I wouldn't be overly comfortable going above that. Figuring out what your hedgie likes temp wise is really just a matter of observation. If you're hedgie seems to be always stretched out in a superman pose, she could very well be too hot for her comfort. If she seems to be seeking out warm things to cuddle against, she might be cold. Really if you're hedgie is active and playing and wheeling like she should, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

For right now so long as you're in the acceptable temperature range I would just leave things be. Once she has time to adjust and get familiar with the surroundings then you might experiment with temps. If you do though, don't make a dramatic change. 1 or 2 degrees at a time at the most. The hi-lo range you have sounds pretty ideal to me.

Good luck! Have fun with your new baby
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think the biggest concern is to keep the temperature of the cage as steady as possible. A thermostat with a CHE is a great way to keep the temperature steady. My house never really cools off in the summer but living in Colorado we get colder days and nights throughout the summer. I have CHEs set up just for those nights.

As for optimal temperature, it definitely varies by hedgie. I have four hedgehogs and three cages. My youngest girl Penny likes her cage on the cooler side. It fluctuates between 75 to 77. She is most active around 76. My only boy likes his cage a little warmer, 78 to 79 ish. My older girls are at a toasty 80 degrees with two CHE's.

I found out that Penny likes her cage cooler when I got a surprise hedgehog and had to give him the CHE Penny was using for a day/night. I was really worried for her since I wasn't sure how cold it was going to get that night. But the lowest temp was 75 and she ran on her wheel like crazy and played with every toy. So I kept it that way.

Sorry there is no definitive answer to that question. Try it at 75 first since that seems to be a generally accepted temperature.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, as they get older, they seem to like warmer temperatures. Must help their joints to feel better.

If they are sick, sometimes bumping the temp up helps too.

Otherwise as said before, keeping it a steady 75 or 76 to start is good.

ML
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I think for the moment we've got the temperature at a steady 75 to 76. It's starting to get a little bit cooler here though so we will definitely be getting a CHE lamp next week! So far she's just been sleeping quite a bit but, doing a little sleuthing this morning, I noticed that she had quite a few crumbs beside her food dish and that she had moved her toilet paper roll and a bright yellow ping pong ball around at some point in the night. I take this as a good sign that she's eating healthily and interacting with her environment. So far I haven't seen any evidence of her getting on her wheel but I assume that's an adjustment issue instead of a lack of energy from too low temperature.
ECraven9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in