Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heating (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   help with CHE (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7120)

wking26 11-20-2010 09:37 AM

help with CHE

i got a CHE and thermostat, and thermometer and am using it my hedgies tank till the cage is ready, but the CHE isnt turning on, i have it plugged into the thermostat, and both on low, im not sure if its the dome that isnt working or not, the CHE is new and so is the thermostat, which isnt digital but was told it does what i want ( turn the che on and off to regulate the temp in the cage) i have a 2nd dome i'm going to try later, i am trying the one with the che in it by plugging it right into the wall, could it not be working because of the dome?

Puffers315 11-20-2010 10:17 AM

Re: help with CHE

Not to ask a stupid question but did you make sure the on/off switch on the dome is on? Usually there is a switch somewhere on the cord. The CHEs heat up at a medium speed though about 30 seconds of power you should be able to either feel the heat by putting your hand under and near it, or even feeling the CHE itself. If anything remove the CHE from the dome and put a regular light bulb in it.

What kind of thermostat are you using? I know at least the Repti-Temp that I got has a green light on it which tells you when its actually on. But definitely check out the dome first, and make sure there isn't any actual on/off switch on the Thermostat if its something other than the 500R, I don't know if any are built with one in them but its worth checking.

RWatkins 11-20-2010 10:54 AM

on the zilla thermostat a green light is always one.

I would check the power switch on the cord to the dome.

wking26 11-20-2010 11:13 AM

the dome works when plugged into the wall fine, the thermostat i got is the repti-temp rheostat, i was told by the lady at the store i usually go to that it will work the same, by regulating the temp in the cage/tank and turning the che on and off when needed, but the che doesnt seem to go on when plugged into it, i have both set to on and on low, i have felt the bulb and around it and felt no heat at all, that was after 30 min or so. i have it plugged into the wall right now and it is working fine like i said, so not sure whats wrong.

shaelikestaquitos 11-20-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wking26
the dome works when plugged into the wall fine, the thermostat i got is the repti-temp rheostat, i was told by the lady at the store i usually go to that it will work the same, by regulating the temp in the cage/tank and turning the che on and off when needed, but the che doesnt seem to go on when plugged into it, i have both set to on and on low, i have felt the bulb and around it and felt no heat at all, that was after 30 min or so. i have it plugged into the wall right now and it is working fine like i said, so not sure whats wrong.

The problem with the rheostat is that it never really turns off, whereas the thermostat will turn off once it reaches a temperature.
It would have been better for you to get the thermostat because you will have less of an electricity bill and you don't risk your hedgie getting too hot.

wking26 11-20-2010 11:34 AM

i searched atleast 4 pet stores in my area, 1 was a exotic pet store, the deals with mainly reptiles, fish and a few small animals, i checked pets mart, a fish warehouse that has reptile stuff, and no one has any or knows of anywhere that would have it, like i said i was told the rheostat i got would work the same as the thermostat, by turning the che off and on
i am going to stop by the store later and ask the owner about it.

shaelikestaquitos 11-20-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wking26
i searched atleast 4 pet stores in my area, 1 was a exotic pet store, the deals with mainly reptiles, fish and a few small animals, i checked pets mart, a fish warehouse that has reptile stuff, and no one has any or knows of anywhere that would have it, like i said i was told the rheostat i got would work the same as the thermostat, by turning the che off and on
i am going to stop by the store later and ask the owner about it.

Why don't you buy one online? I got mine online
and no, the rheostat does NOT turn the CHE on and off, it will just LOWER the temperature when it gets too hot.

EDIT:
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/Entry ... SearchID=1
If you don't believe me, here's a website for Zoomed, another reptile pet product company where they answer the differences between the two.

Puffers315 11-20-2010 02:08 PM

A Rheostat is more or less an electrical dimmer switch, the CHE was -always- be on, all the rheostat does is regulate how much power its getting. You're probably not feeling anything when its on low because the CHE is probably not getting enough power to even heat up, crank the Rheostat up to full and hold your hand over the CHE, I betcha you'll feel it getting warm after a few minutes.

The problem with a rheostat is the fact that room temperatures do not stay the same. Because it does not turn on and off and just regulates how much power goes to the CHE, the temperature of the cage will go up and down with the room. If the room is 70'F and the cage is 75'F with the CHE on it'll be fine. But if the room warms up to 75'F then the cage is going to warm up to 80'F. If the room gets hot and hits 80'F, the cage is going to be 85+'F.

The Thermostats can be hard to find locally, I think most people have to order theirs online. The Repti-Temp 500R or CA RF1000 Thermostat will turn the CHE on and off, so again if your room is 70'F and you have the thermostat at 75'F, if the room warms up to 75'F, the thermostat will turn off the CHE because the room is now at the set temperature. It will not turn on again until the room temperature drops below 75'F.

I mean I really hate to put down the lady at the pet store, but its starting to sound to me like she's just trying to make money off you, first suggesting the hedgehog food and that cat food isn't suppose to be fed to them (does she sell cat food?) and now a Rheostat over the Thermostat. If you don't want to order it online, I'm sure she can order it into the store next shipment day.

The main problem with temperatures going up and down is it can cause an URI if they're constantly going from hot to cold and back to hot. Same thing happens to humans, except we just get a common cold from it (trust me, I work at an ice factory, heh).

Nancy 11-20-2010 02:14 PM

A rheostat will not turn the emitter up, down or on off on it's own. You have to do it. A rheostat is like a dimmer switch for a light bulb. You can brighten (more heat), or dim (less heat) the light, but you have to do it.

A thermostat is what you need and it will turn the emitter up, down, on or off depending on the temperature you set it for. It is like the thermostat in your house. You set it for the temperature you want and it keeps it at the temperature you want.

wking26 11-20-2010 03:25 PM

seeing i have opened the rheostat and broke the seal on the outlets i dont think i can return it now, could i set the dome to the medium and use a timer for now till i can find a way to get a thermostat?