2nd CHE - Will it blow a fuse? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2nd CHE - Will it blow a fuse?

With winter around the corner, I'm starting to see that the one CHE I have on Winston's cage isn't going to be enough unless I'm willing to heat the whole house to 19 all the time, which is expensive! I'm going to get a second Ceramic Heat Emitter and lamp. I'll be plugging it into the thermostat I have. There is, however, a small problem.

My apartment is in an old house, and, for some strange reason, there is only one electrical outlet in the entire living room. That's the room where Winston's cage is, and he can't be moved anywhere else (no room in my bedroom, and the only other rooms are the kitchen and bathroom). It's super irritating that there's only 1 outlet in the whole living room, but now I'm a little worried. Plugged into this one outlet is a powerbar, and plugged into this powerbar are the following:

TV
Xbox
Router
Modem
Thermostat
Light (on a timer)

My boyfriend thinks adding another CHE will blow a fuse or something. Anyone have any insight or suggestions on what I can do? The nearest other outlet is in the bathroom, and would take 2 extension cords to reach, so not so safe there.
nessariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: 2nd CHE - Will it blow a fuse?

What cage do you have? You shouldn't need a second emitter unless the cage is huge. Usually all that is needed is to enclose the sides and back of the cage to help hold the heat in. The heavy clear plastic sold at Fabricland works great and you can either use binder clips or clothespins to attach it.

To reach the bathroom you shouldn't need two extension cords. Just get a more heavy duty longer cord. They come up to 100' long.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

It shouldn't blow a fuse as the power bar is in one of the sockets and there is still the other socket. I put 2 power bars in the dual sockets and completely fill them as I have a 125g aquarium running in my livingroom with 2 filters, 2 lights, and 2 heaters on one power bar and then my TV, home theatre, satellite and lamp on another power bar so adding another power bar to add a CHE should be fine. But like Nancy pointed out you can always put something on the side to keep the heat in better and then you shouldn't have to get a 2nd CHE.
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, what wattage CHE are you using? They come in different strengths, if your clamp can handle it perhaps you can just increase the bulb.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a "super pet my first home extra large" cage. The back is covered by a thermal blanket, but the cage was only getting up to 73 the other night, before I turned the heat on, and that was with the CHE running constantly.

As for CHE bulb wattage, I have a 150. I think my lamp can handle up to 250, so I'll look into that.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

I know you said it would take two extension cords to get to the bathroom, but what about purchasing a long and thick one? You have your standard 'brown' style extension cords for household use but there are also 'contractor extension cord' which are heavy duty, doesn't have a triple outlet end on it but you can get them up to 50 feet, you get a 10 or 12 gauge one (thickness of the wires inside) so it wouldn't be overloading the cord itself, just means you'd have a big extension cord running through the house.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessariel
I have a "super pet my first home extra large" cage. The back is covered by a thermal blanket, but the cage was only getting up to 73 the other night, before I turned the heat on, and that was with the CHE running constantly.

As for CHE bulb wattage, I have a 150. I think my lamp can handle up to 250, so I'll look into that.
Try covering the back and both ends. Using clear plastic holds the heat in but still allows light to enter the cage.

Do you have the emitter sitting right on top of the cage or angled in towards the cage?

A 150 emitter should be enough.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Try covering the back and both ends. Using clear plastic holds the heat in but still allows light to enter the cage.

Do you have the emitter sitting right on top of the cage or angled in towards the cage?

A 150 emitter should be enough.
I'll try covering the sides and back. The emitter is right on top of the cage. Oddly enough, it's been fine the past few nights without the heat in the house on. Very odd. I'll keep monitoring it and decide if I need a more powerful bulb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in