How do you use the ReptiTemp 500r thermostat? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you use the ReptiTemp 500r thermostat?

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I'll try unplugging everything in the morning and starting over. I think I understand what I'm suppose to do now. lol
*Member of HWS and IHA*

http://fourlittlefeetboutique.weebly.com/
^^Snuggle Sacks, Cage liners, blankets, Cuddle Cups and more!
Littlefootsmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Probe placement seems to make a big difference in the performance of a CHE setup, at least this is what I've found fooling around with mine. Depending on the room temperature is, if the probe is too far away, it can cause the CHE to run constantly or longer than needed and drive cage temperatures up. For example...

I originally had the probe to my Repti-Temp located on the back wall of my Ferret Nation, literally level with the cage floor (along with my digital thermometer probe). This setup caused the CHE either to run too much or too litter, so it was either getting too hot or too cold in the cage. I relocated the probe so its suspended about 5 inches above the floor of the cage and about 4 inches away from the rear wall. I have a 10 inch CHE with a 100 watt bulb that is hung from the ceiling of the bottom unit the Ferret Nation. So the probe is about 10 inches below the CHE but not directly under it, more a couple of inches outside the 10 inch dome radius.

With this the general temperature of the cage stays between 74 and 76. (74 = CHE turns on, 76 = CHE turns off). I'll also note that the Repti-Temp knob is hardly off the low setting. My cage also has towels on either side, so the only open area is the front and rear panels. But in short, probe placement seems to be important.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsMom
ok...i just cant seem to get my thermostat to work..i have the same one...the light just stays on all the time. the only time it turns off is if i turn it off myself. once the temp got up to 82 and it didnt turn off.

i have a 18x18 C&C cage (well two cubes on each side they have 9 little squares going across)
100 W CHE
8.5 dome lamp

i dont really get how to make it work correctly. i read all the stuff on here, but i dont think it's registering for me lol i'm a little confused.
Hmm, when exactly does your light turn off? Do you have to turn the dial all the way to the point where you can no longer turn it? Or will the light go off BEFORE you turn the dial to it's extent?

If the light goes off before the dial is turned to it's extent (towards the "LOW" setting, of course) then that should be indicative of the thermostat working. If this is the case for you, leave the thermostat as it is (the dial in the position right where the light turns off) for at least 30 min or until the cage cools down to room temp -- perhaps maybe the light will even turn on again during this time meaning that the thermostat is definitely working. But the light will probably be off still, so from here you want to turn the dial up until the light goes on which SHOULD only take a small nudge or so. After this you're pretty much set. It's all down to just tweaking up and down to get to your desired temp. Make sure you only turn the dial in small increments and that you wait several minutes before tweaking again -- actually you don't want to tweak again until the light turns off/on. If you're tweaking to increase the temp you want to wait until the light turns off; if you're trying to decrease the temp you want to wait until the light turns on. Eh, I'm sure you know how to do it anyway. :P

HOWEVER, if you happen to be the case where the light doesn't turn off until you turn the dial ALL the way, this is what I would do...
First of all don't do this with the CHE in the cage or make sure that the hedgie is out of the cage; don't want to give your a hedgie a heat stroke! For example, you can just set up the CHE and thermostat in a corner of a room, or a random cardboard box, etc. Also, make sure that when you attempt this the CHE has been off for a while so that it's at room temperature. So what I would do is turn the dial to the half-way point like the instructions say. Place the probe in close proximity to the CHE. I'd say no more that a foot away to ensure that it will really absorb the heat from the CHE; this probe placement is CRUCIAL! Make sure that the room or area that you're doing this in has a stable temperature. If the room's temp is not stable it could throw off the probe's ability to read properly. So now it's time to wait. The light should turn off because the probe is surely reading in the heat from the CHE. I would imagine that it would take no longer than 30 min for the light to go out. So if the light is out that means YAYYY it works! Time to set the CHE back up in the cage and tweak accordingly. However, if the light has not turned off after it's been, let's say 1 hour (just to be safe), then something isn't right. And the only advice I can give you is to just keep trying and re-doing. Hopefully eventually it will just work! Unfortunately technology can be inconsistent and spontaneous therefore unreliable at times.

I really hope this helps. Placement of the probe is pretty crucial. Put in a spot where you think the the cage would have a median temperature (i.e. not the coldest part of the cage and not the hottest). This would allow the probe to read the average temp of the cage and give the most comfortable conditions for your hedgie.
Voohoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

thanks so much for your advice! i think i'm getting the hang of it. it's be consistant all day..except for earlier..the temp went down to 72..but i just tweaked it a little...i'll keep checking on it

PJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in