Is a heating lamp a must? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is a heating lamp a must?

I know that hedgehogs need to be at really warm temperatures. It seems a lot of people have CHE heating lamps, but I am not really comfortable having that left on. The thing is, I had a heat lamp before and it caught on fire, and I've known people who have heated their cage space and it has caught fire too.

I will get one if my hedgehog NEEDS it, but does it? The room will be a constant 74 in the winter, and in the summer I am not concerned. The heat rises in the house and keeps it constantly at around 76 or 77.

I just don't want to make her feel cold, but I am really not sure I want a heat lamp. Is it necessary?
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't speak for the summer months, as we are just starting g summer and this is my gf and mines first time owning a hog. In the winter her building was super hot that the hogs room stayed at 75 f , But now that spring has Come her temps have dropped to 72 f. I had to find a small space heater till I can get her a che, most people on her either use space heaters or che from what I've read. So there is options, also you can use a thermostat. I use a more expensive one for my snakes, you can get cheap ones on ebay or amazon. I can't talk about summer though sorry. Hope this helps though
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have never heard of a CHE catching fire, did you have a thermostat to control it? You always need a thermostat so your lamps don't overheat.

If you're not using a CHE you will still need a thermometer in the cage. Temperatures can differ in one room, so even if your house is 74 F it could be a lot colder inside the cage.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you!
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

It sounds to me like your house is probably warm enough, but you can get a little thermometer to see what the temp. actually is inside the cage itself.
My CHE bulb burnt out and I don't intend to replace it until this winter. I have one hedgie w/ a CHE who is up on a table and another one on the floor (which has radiant heat).
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use a temp Gun. I only have thermometers in tanks that need them. I like the temp guns cause I can check the temp anywhere in the tank any time. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just buy a thermometer for the hogs though. I just have a gun cause other critters and it's convenient.

Thermasts are also a must when using heat from bulbs or tape, it also makes life so much easier then having to constantly check things
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in