A few Lamp & Bulb questions - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By lilsurfergrlsp
  • 2 Post By lilsurfergrlsp
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By Keely
  • 1 Post By lilsurfergrlsp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A few Lamp & Bulb questions

Hello! I get my little girl in 3 weeks, so I'm trying to get all of the supplies I need before she arrives. I have a few questions about a heating lamp and bulb. I guess I need an opinion from someone who owns this exact lamp/bulb.

Amazon.com: Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 8.5-Inch Dome, Black: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 8.5-Inch Dome, Black: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies

Do both of these products work well, and does that bulb correctly screw into that lamp?

Can I place the lamp directly on top of my Critter nation cage?

Can/should I leave it on 24/7, or only during the night time?

The bulb is only 60 watts, is that enough to warm her?

I plan on using cage liners, will that affect anything? (Fire hazard?)

I'm on a budget, and these are the cheapest I've found so far. If you recommend something different, but also just as cheap, please let me know.
Thanks!
Keely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

For the ceramic heat emmitter wattage most people use 100 W. You should be leaving the lamp on 24/7 for even heat throughout the day and night. Those are the only ones I know to answer for. I would hate to guess and give you false information so I will let others with more experience on the other questions.
Artist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

- Yup, both of those products work well, and yes, the bulb screws into that lamp. It takes about an hour to warm up, so make sure you're able to warm it up before you bring your girl home (and it's normal to smell a burning smell when you first turn it on, but it will go away).

- You can place the lamp directly on the critter nation cage.

- It's best to leave it on 24/7. This is where I ask - are you getting a thermostat to go along with the lamp and CHE? A thermostat is an easy way to regulate the temperature in the cage; you set the temperature you want using a dial, and then it turns the CHE on and off to regulate it. This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11403-Controller-Temperature-500-watt/dp/B0018CLYNG/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AF85CERVS0H3R21NHHG http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11403-Controller-Temperature-500-watt/dp/B0018CLYNG/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AF85CERVS0H3R21NHHG

- Like Artist said, 60 watts is probably too low. How many levels is your critter nation cage? Since heat rises, and depending on how many levels it is, you'd probably be safer going with a 150 watt bulb, as well as a 10 inch lamp dome. A bigger dome directs the heat more evenly throughout the cage, as opposed to an 8.5 inch done, which directs the heat mainly straight down.

- Cage liners are a great way to keep her warm! There really isn't a fire hazard unless you put any type of fleece directly on the lamp or put the lamp directly on the fleece.
Lilysmommy and viv1424 like this.

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsurfergrlsp View Post
- Yup, both of those products work well, and yes, the bulb screws into that lamp. It takes about an hour to warm up, so make sure you're able to warm it up before you bring your girl home (and it's normal to smell a burning smell when you first turn it on, but it will go away).

- You can place the lamp directly on the critter nation cage.

- It's best to leave it on 24/7. This is where I ask - are you getting a thermostat to go along with the lamp and CHE? A thermostat is an easy way to regulate the temperature in the cage; you set the temperature you want using a dial, and then it turns the CHE on and off to regulate it. This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11403-Co...ERVS0H3R21NHHG

- Like Artist said, 60 watts is probably too low. How many levels is your critter nation cage? Since heat rises, and depending on how many levels it is, you'd probably be safer going with a 150 watt bulb, as well as a 10 inch lamp dome. A bigger dome directs the heat more evenly throughout the cage, as opposed to an 8.5 inch done, which directs the heat mainly straight down.

- Cage liners are a great way to keep her warm! There really isn't a fire hazard unless you put any type of fleece directly on the lamp or put the lamp directly on the fleece.
Thank you for your response! So you think one of these bulbs would be better?
Amazon.com : Zoo Med Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Zoo Med Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 Watts: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 Watts: Pet Supplies
It's surprisingly cheaper, ha. I have a double critter nation, my Rats are on the bottom. I plan on placing the lamp directly on top of the top units bars.

I didn't plan on getting a thermostat, due to the extreme price. Do you think it's a priority, or could it wait a few months until I have money for it? Would a normal thermometer not suffice?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yup, those bulbs are better. Either the 100W or 150W is fine, but if the area where she will be is warm to begin with, the 100W is good. Zoo Med is a good brand, in my opinion. Unfortunately I had one burn out after only three months of use, but since they have a 2 year warranty, I simply called their corporate office and they sent me a new one for free (they even over-nighted it for me because I mentioned it was for my hedgehog and the customer service woman showed genuine concern about her attempting to hibernate).

Anywho, I would definitely get the thermostat as soon as you can. I understand it's expensive, but it'll be worth it in the long run. It just helps a lot with regulating the temperature, so you don't have worry about her either getting too hot (which is just as dangerous as your hedgie girl being too cold).

And a normal thermometer is different from a thermostat. It helps to have a normal thermometer in her cage as well, so you can quickly check the temperature of her cage.

I noticed you're in Dallas, though. Since we're approaching summer, I'm assuming it's getting pretty warm. If you absolutely can't afford getting a thermostat right now, and you're able to check on her temperature throughout the day, it would be okay to wait on buying it. But I would still get it as soon as you can
Lilysmommy and viv1424 like this.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with lilsurfer - a thermostat is a priority & I would get it as soon as you can. They are a bit expensive, but unless you're around often during the day & night to check the temperature, they're definitely necessary. Even if you're around, a thermostat is going to be safest. If you get one from Amazon, they're not that expensive, about $30 -
Amazon.com : Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt : Reptile Thermostat : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt : Reptile Thermostat : Pet Supplies
I know that IS expensive for some budgets, but as far as the costs of owning a pet, they're not. I'm curious, do you have money set aside for emergency vet visits? They do happen, and often when a hedgehog needs to go to the vet, they need to go ASAP & can't wait for money to be available. Once they're sick, they can go downhill extremely fast & quick vet care is essential to saving them. That can require anything from $200-1000, depending on what's wrong and what sort of treatment or tests are necessary.

I don't mean to offend you or imply anything by asking - it's just been an issue on the forum before (especially lately), and it's usually the first concern that pops into my mind when someone mentions money issues.
nikki and lilsurfergrlsp like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'll definitely set the thermostat as a priority then, I didn't know it actually controlled the cage temp, I thought It just read the current temp in the cage. I am curious how it connects to the heat lamp itself though..

And to answer your question Lilysmommy, my sister is an exotic animal vet, so my vet visits are always free or extremely cheap. Thank you for your concern though, no offense taken at all
Lilysmommy and lilsurfergrlsp like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

The thermostat connects to the heat lamp because it has an extra outlet built into it. You plug in the heat lamp to the thermostat, and then plug the thermostat into the wall. The thermostat also has a temperature reader that you put inside your hedgie's cage.

And you're so lucky that your sister is a vet! I'm seriously jealous haha
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a quick question. I have a Wire cage. Currently have a 100w heat emitter. Are you sure its 100% safe to have the heat emitter on top of the cage. I have it pointing towards one side of the cage at the bottom right now. I hope its okay since my roommates like to turn the a/c on..
Miss2sparkle16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss2sparkle16 View Post
I have a quick question. I have a Wire cage. Currently have a 100w heat emitter. Are you sure its 100% safe to have the heat emitter on top of the cage. I have it pointing towards one side of the cage at the bottom right now. I hope its okay since my roommates like to turn the a/c on..
Just for future reference, if you have a question, it's better to start your own thread instead of writing a question on an older one

And it's safe to put your CHE on top of the wire cage, as long as it has a sturdy lid. If the wires are colored, the paint might chip off, but that's about it. Also, if your roommates turn the A/C on, you can help keep the heat in the cage by covering the sides with a blanket, just make sure any fabric doesn't touch the CHE because it's a fire hazard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in