Two questions: water and heating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Two questions: water and heating

First, the water dish. It seems like Biscuit has a tendency to either tip over his water dish or drag something absorbent into it. I have kept his food and water bowls apart from each other to try to prevent this type of stuff, but it hasn't worked.

Also, I'm going to be taking me home for Thanksgiving, where my dad likes to keep the house at around 65 degrees. I'm going to need to have a heat source for him, either a ceramic bulb or a space heater. As of now, I'm leaning towards getting a space heater to warm up the room he will be in. What are the pros and cons of the two?

Thanks for your input!
bamafan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Two questions: water and heating

In regards to the water bowl being tipped over. Mina kept turning her water dish over, so I bought her a reptlile water bottle like this one...
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/hedgiehu...it%20water.jpg

I then used a small bungee cord to secure the bottle to the edge of the cage, because she was still attempting to knock it over. It's worked so far.

I haven't had her put anything into her water dish...yet. I'm sure she'll try eventually. She's rather inventive and industrious. I woke up today to find a mealie stuck to the piece of coroplast I'm using as a makeshift lid over the unfinished loft area. How it got up there...I have no idea. I can just picture her shaking her head side to side "killing" the mealie.
Annabeth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea
Default Re: Two questions: water and heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabeth
I woke up today to find a mealie stuck to the piece of coroplast I'm using as a makeshift lid over the unfinished loft area. How it got up there...I have no idea. I can just picture her shaking her head side to side "killing" the mealie.
That's adorable. Mine usually has mealworms gone in one bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan2112
I'm going to need to have a heat source for him, either a ceramic bulb or a space heater. As of now, I'm leaning towards getting a space heater to warm up the room he will be in. What are the pros and cons of the two?
I have a water heater--not just the kind for showers. I can't remember exactly what it's called (I won't be home to look for a few hours, but if you're interested I can probably post back tonight or tomorrow) but they sell them at places like wal-mart. Instead of having oil in them, they heat with water. You just plug it in and turn it on and it heats the whole room. (I actually can't turn it off the first setting or it's impossible to stand the temperature.) They do a great job at keeping the room a good temperature. The only thing I don't like about them is that the model I have doesn't have a thermostat on it so it's hard to get an exact temperature without some fiddling around with it. They're low cost though and they do a great job at heating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in