Hedgehog Central banner

heating a cage w/a plastic bottom

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  fracturedcircle 
#1 ·
i'm looking at this heater because i've heard very good things about it: http://cozywinters.com/shop/kh-1060.html

any other suggestions?

feel free to suggest small and safe space heaters that automatically control temp as well.

#5 ·
I have a space heater in my room similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... hmefin-20/

It has a thermostat on it (you can set the temp to anything you want), and you can change high or low settings for the fan part...there's a remote. I've had it for almost 5 years now (using it almost nonstop...my roommate keeps the apartment really cold, so I have to keep my room warm for the hedgies...and ME!) and it hasn't let me down :) Worth the extra cost I think.

#6 ·
Any heat pad type heater you use isn't going to warm the air in the cage, just the bottom of the cage. You need to use either a ceramic heat emitter with a theromostat or a space heater to keep the entire room warm. You want the air in the cage warm, not just the bottom, and the only way to heat the air with a heat pad is to have it really hot, and that can cause burns on your hedgie.

#7 ·
nikki said:
Any heat pad type heater you use isn't going to warm the air in the cage, just the bottom of the cage. You need to use either a ceramic heat emitter with a theromostat or a space heater to keep the entire room warm. You want the air in the cage warm, not just the bottom, and the only way to heat the air with a heat pad is to have it really hot, and that can cause burns on your hedgie.
i suppose a ceramic heater won't work for the cage with the plastic bottom? any particular space heater you recommend?

#9 ·
nikki said:
Ceramic heat emitters work great with plastic bottomed/wire topped cages. They just don't work good with plastic bins. Just make sure you get a thermostat for it to control the temp. I use an oil filled space heater in my hedgehog room, they work great and are very safe.
great. Sweetie has a ceramic heater. any specific kind you recommend for Harvey?

#10 ·
I use a space heater for my set up. I got mine at Walmart and it is an EnergySmart by Honeywell. It has a fan set up with it but the heat that comes out feels very gentle and it doesn't get hot to the touch. The heater also shuts off if its tipped over and has settings starting at 60 degrees and up in 5 degree increments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.