Heating Problems - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Heating Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardGirl
I would not trust any breeder that says hedgies are fine at 69*.
Ditto, not to mention one that states right on her website that she will breed rescues.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

For the hedgehogs sake I hope it isn't going to be 69 degrees whether the breeder says its ok or not. If she's telling you that then I don't think I could trust anything else she says about hedgehog care. That temperature is too cold and in my opinion you will be taking too much of a risk. By the time you realize it is too cold it may be too late for the hedgie.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

I asked her about the breeding of rescues and she doesn't breed the rescues any more...
I am doubling checking on the temp she said so i'll see. I'll still use the lamp with a heating pad....Even though she said it's good in the upper 60's, i'm going to watch my little guy when i get him. If he is fine, i'll let him be, and if not, well i have back up stuff until I can get more heat in there. My heating pad has 3 temps (low, medium, and hot).It's an old one....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

The "If not" scares me...

What if...
You were at school or out with friends...
and your hedgies goes into hibernation... You would not be there to catch it in time, your hedgie may be dead by the time you actually notice something is wrong.

Onto the heating pad... Only the 'low' setting can be used, otherwise, you risk burning the hedgie. Also, the hedgie may never come out of his bed if that's where the heating pad is. Which means, he'll likely starve himself, because he wouldn't want to go out into the cold.

What is this "back up stuff" that you are going to use?
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

You really should have the ability to keep the cage at the right temperature before the hedgie comes home. The breeder has already gave incorrect information so I don't think I'd be going with her Hedgie Care. When you say you are going to double check on the temperature, this is the site I'd be going to double check my information and you will find the majority here will say the same.....69 is too cold. Everyone here has given you good information hopefully you will make the safest choice and have the heating issue addressed before your new hedgie gets home.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogs4ever
i can't use a space heater because of the plugs in my ancient house. the house is like 50+ years old and has old plugs to go along with it. .
the temp in my room is normally 63. the cage got up to 68 with the CHE without the lid on.
I have an 80+ year old house. If you can't plug in a space heater, you shouldn't have a TV, Oven, blow dryer, lamp or fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogs4ever
I asked her about the breeding of rescues and she doesn't breed the rescues any more...
I am doubling checking on the temp she said so i'll see. I'll still use the lamp with a heating pad....Even though she said it's good in the upper 60's, i'm going to watch my little guy when i get him. If he is fine, i'll let him be, and if not, well i have back up stuff until I can get more heat in there. My heating pad has 3 temps (low, medium, and hot).It's an old one....
I have over 15 years experience owning hedgehogs. NEVER is 63-68 degrees safe. I don't know who this "breeder" is, but I'd run real fast in the opposite direction and find a real, reputable breeder to buy from.

There's an old saying. If one person tells you you're wrong, you still might be right. If two people tell you you're wrong, you might want to think about it. If three people tell you you're wrong, you're most likely wrong.

Delete your account and run away. But anyplace on the web that agrees with you is just helping you kill your hedgehog.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rescue

Exclamation Re: Heating Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeMom

There's an old saying. If one person tells you you're wrong, you still might be right. If two people tell you you're wrong, you might want to think about it. If three people tell you you're wrong, you're most likely wrong.
I like this saying! I'm going to try it out on my kids.
Thanks HedgeMom!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in