How cold is too cold - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How cold is too cold

I am really interested in getting a hedgie. Already I have found some hedgies that will be ready in 2-3 weeks and am pretty sure I will get one so excited! I am just confused on the heating of her (most likely it will be her) cage. The care information sheet on here,Hedgehog Central, says that hedgehogs should be kept at 65-80*F, but what I have been seeing on the forums most say 75*F ish. So what is too cold?
Thanks,
Hopefully soon to be hedgie owner
HedgieLover~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The care sheets on the rest of the website are a bit out-of-date, so not all of the information on them is necessarily correct by today's standards! The recommended safe temperature range is 73-80*, and most owners tend to aim for around 75* for the preferred temperature. Most hedgehogs do well at that temperature. Below 73* starts getting into the iffy territory for most hedgehogs, though there's some that do like it a bit cooler. Many hedgehogs will start showing less activity and other signs of possible hibernation attempts once the temperature starts getting to 70* and below though.

For a more up-to-date resource to help with your research before you bring a little one home, I highly recommend you download (for free!) and read all of this care book - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi.../download.html It was written recently by one of the moderators from the forum, and it's wonderful and up-to-date with the latest information. If you still have questions on anything after you've read through the book, the forums are great for searching through, or if you're still having trouble, feel free to post & ask. Welcome to the forum!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much, I already downloaded it and in the process reading it. So CHE is the best for heating? If so where is best and cheapest place to get them?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Most people do prefer CHEs for heating, yup! Cheapest place is probably Amazon, to get all of the parts. However, I (and a couple others) prefer & recommend to get the actual CHE bulbs in person at a pet store. They'll be more expensive, but it's nice to be able to open the box & check the bulb before buying since sometimes they can be deformed (and therefore won't work). It's also nicer in case they do stop working for no reason because you can return them more easily. The thermostat is much more easily found online though, none of the pet stores near me carry them in-store. The lamps you can find in person, but I think they're cheaper on Amazon as well. The thermometer doesn't have to be one bought specifically from a pet store - you can find those cheaper at a store like Walmart, in the outdoor section. The main things you want are digital and a probe.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in