Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Axel1012
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers
  • 2 Post By Erizo
  • 2 Post By Brittany
  • 1 Post By DesertHedgehogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do I need a CHE setup?

Hi guys,
I am hopefully getting a little bundle of spikes soon and was wondering if I needed a heating setup. I live in canada where it gets colder but my house is set to 73 degrees through out the year. Do you guys think it would be smart to invest in a CHE setup or would it be a waste of money? I heard that a general rule of thumb is that if your fine without a sweater on your hedgehog should be good. I might have a stronger cold resistance but I consider it quite warm
TheSmellyHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I purchased a CHE through amazon. Which was a lot cheaper than buying from stores. I have a 60 watt and plenty of cozy places for axel to snuggle up in. I found that I worry far less and he seems more comfortable to have his source of heat to warm up to. There are many other alternatives to a CHE also. Like Snuggle disks and certain heating pads that you can put under your cage.

Also my boyfriend tends to run warm so he likes to have a fan on at night for a small breeze and sometimes opens the window. We take the safer than sorry route but its personal preference.
TheSmellyHedgie likes this.
Axel1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like having a thermostat & CHE because that way I don't need to worry about temperature fluctuations. It's way cheaper than dealing with hibernation attempts!

Some hedgehogs are more temperature sensitive than others, and some require higher temperatures as they get older. From an earlier archive-thread, it seems like many Canadian hedgehogs do fine without a setup, but... but when my little guy gets less active, I want to know it's not from something simple to fix (like heating).

Absolutely make sure to have a light on a timer to give him regular 12-14 hours of daylight. It's getting dark fast this time of year!

On our side of the border (I'm in Vancouver), the most cost-effective thermostat & CHE lamp supplier I've found is the mail-order Pets & Ponds. Amazon is too expensive with duties. I bought my CHE bulbs locally, though (PetSmart? some mega-chain) because they have a high enough defect rate that I wanted to have super-easy returns.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I live in canada where it gets colder but my house is set to 73 degrees through out the year. Do you guys think it would be smart to invest in a CHE setup or would it be a waste of money?
I keep a good digital thermometer in Sophie's cage. That is the number that counts. I use a La Crosse Technology 302-604. It has a feature that shows the absolute highest and lowest temperatures reached since the last reset and that's pretty nice to have.

CHEs are a required investment for almost everyone, IMO. (In the US, nobody comes close to Amazon's pricing. The savings are huge.)

One of Sophie's heating related videos, starting at 5:53
(19:05)
http://youtu.be/PhjrdkIx_Xc?t=5m53s

TheSmellyHedgie and Axel1012 like this.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I, personally, hate the "if your fine without a sweater" thing. People are different, and I am fine without a sweater at 65 degrees (too cold for hedgie). I think its really really important to have some kind of heating system, because you never know when there might be a particular cold night or something and you wake up and find your hedgie trying to hibernate in a 50 degree room. I LOVE my CHE, really gives me peace of mind and its a great way to keep the hedgie temp constant. In the long run, a CHE of at least 100 wats is the best bet, along with a thermostat to control the temp and thermometer in the cage to make sure its consistent. Get a CHE, you wont regret it!

Best of luck with your new bundle of quills!
TheSmellyHedgie and Axel1012 like this.

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

The biggest problem with not having a CHE is the temperature fluctuations, and remember it's colder on the floor than up at chest level. at amazon right now you can get a thermostat for $22 a dome for $15 and a bulb for $11 so under 50 before shipping. I think it's worth it to avoid the worry that comes with not having one, but that's a personal choice. Definitely get a thermometer that shows the highs and lows and put it in the area you're going to put the cage. If it gets below 72 in that area then you definitely need one.
DesertHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses! I will get a thermometer that shows the highs and lows. If the tempretures do dip even by a degree ill get a CHE (I highly doubt it will because my houses thermostat is accurate). I will also consider what the breeders keep the hedgehogs at so I could keep it at the same temperatures so the hoglet wouldn't get overwhelmed and try to hibernate. I decided I would put a blanket ontop of the cage (and yes this cage is still at the store :P) and let it drape over the sides (trap the warm air) and put a light for the day and night cycle. Well if everything goes as planned and I will get a hoglet

Last edited by TheSmellyHedgie; 12-06-2013 at 08:48 PM.
TheSmellyHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in