Heating Your Hedgehog's Cage Simplified! - Page 38 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #371 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkooler View Post
I can get the cage to a temp of about 82-85 degrees which is somewhat warm from some websites recommendations and perfect for others.
It varies per hedgehog. The recommended temperature to start out with is mid-seventies (75-76F or so), and raise the temperature as needed. If you find your hedgehog is going "splat" (all limbs out), then it is too hot.

For example, mine prefers 75-76F, anything above 78F will make her uncomfortable and she'll start to splat. She's pretty precise, so anything lower than 72F will have her underbelly be chilly. However, I've also seen threads with hedgehogs who like 78F-80F temperatures, and they will have cold underbellies if it's any lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkooler View Post
But my problem comes in when i monitor the temperature of my hedgies sleeping place or her burrow. The temperatures can reach close to 89F and thats way to hot from what i have read. BUT is this normal for her sleeping area to be warmer then the external cage temperature?
89F is definitely too hot. You've said in a later post that you have a thermostat; you should try placing its probe in the area that she sleeps and set the temperature using her burrow as the reference point.

82-85F is pretty high up there temperature-wise, so even if you set the thermostat to 80F for her sleeping area and the external cage temperature drops to 74-78F it should still be okay.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #372 (permalink)

Default 3 Level Home

Hi guys,

I am converting an old dresser/cabinet into a 3 level home for my APH (enclosed tunnels for ascent and descent) and I was just wondering how would be best to heat it? I live in England so it's not the warmest, especially during Autumn and Winter!

All advice is welcome
zoenicole7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #373 (permalink)

Default Lighting Question

A question about lighting: the daylight is not a problem for us, but our new hedgehog will go into my son's room. He sleeps with the lights dimmed, but it's still on. This sounds like it will be a problem, correct? Could I cover the cage so that it's darker?
Trishy64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #374 (permalink)

Im not really sure but have you also thought about the noise they make at night and the smell of fresh pee and poop during the night?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #375 (permalink)

We are getting our baby next month, and am setting up his/her habitat now. I have a very large plastic bin, can I use the ceramic option safely? Are there options that come with a stand not a clip?
Thanks!
Cre81ve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #376 (permalink)

Default Base Temperature in Room

So I'm planning out my hedgehog set up. I've read all about heating etc, and I'm still worrying about maintaining temp.
The lower level of our house has a large area for a cage, but our downstairs runs 62-68 degrees year round due to winter/air conditioning.
I am very uncomfortable with the idea of using a space heater.

Is a CHE lamp going to be enough to heat the cage to appropriate temp?
holly0104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #377 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It depends on what kind of cage you're planning to use. If it's an open cage like a C&C, no, it probably won't be enough unless you insulate it to be more like a vivarium. If you're using a more closed in viv or mutiple totes connected (which would need more lamps), then you should be able to keep it warm enough.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in