Heating Your Hedgehog's Cage Simplified! - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Heating Your Hedgehog's Cage Simplified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardGirl
Yes, you should have no problems putting the CHE on the bars. They will get hot though so make sure your hedgie has absolutely no way of getting to them.

I recommend either clamping the clamp grip onto a bar or finding another way to secure the lamp so if any wires are pulled, the CHE can't fall or be pulled around.
Be wary of the clamp grips though, they sometimes slip their way off the bars and can be hard to position the heat lamp properly over the cage. I use zip ties, they are an easy and reliable way to attach the heat lamp to the cage

Btw AWESOME post LizardGirl
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you both for the kind comments.

SnufflePuff, would you mind if I quote you and add that to the original post?

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is such an informative post. Thanks a bunch for really making it simple for us noobs. I wanted to switch over to the lamps (been using a space heater which i feel isn't the most accurate or consistent means, atleast not when hubby steals it for the bathroom lol) and now I have a better idea what all I need and how to set up safely and effectively.
olamina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you both for the kind comments.

SnufflePuff, would you mind if I quote you and add that to the original post?
Not at all

I actually had a totally unrelated but somewhat related question for you since I know you are very knowledgeable about reptiles and heating in general. I am still attempting to breed/raise my own crickets and bought a 100W infrared heat lamp bulb (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/he ... ghting.php) as well as a "Fluker's Mini Sun Dome" lamp to put it in (http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm ... d=SFK27004). I am placing it on top of a wire lid on the aquarium I have the crickets in. Do you see this being a fire hazard at all? The bulb gets pretty hot so I'm wondering if I should maybe get a different lamp?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Assuming the tank the crickets are in is at 10+ gallons, I wouldn't be concerned. I use heat lamps with many smaller herps in 10+ tanks without issues. What type of wire lid? If it's a standard window mesh-type material or hardware cloth, there should be no problems. That's what I usually use. For fire safety, anyways. The crickets themselves you don't want to overheat.

You could try just keeping track of how hot it gets in there. If it's over 85*, you might want to go with a lower wattage. It's also good to make sure it's only one one side of the tank, so the other is a lower temp if they want to get out of the heat.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Assuming the tank the crickets are in is at 10+ gallons, I wouldn't be concerned. I use heat lamps with many smaller herps in 10+ tanks without issues. What type of wire lid? If it's a standard window mesh-type material or hardware cloth, there should be no problems. That's what I usually use. For fire safety, anyways. The crickets themselves you don't want to overheat.

You could try just keeping track of how hot it gets in there. If it's over 85*, you might want to go with a lower wattage. It's also good to make sure it's only one one side of the tank, so the other is a lower temp if they want to get out of the heat.
It is 10+ gallons and does have mesh-type material that's metal. But it did get up to 90 F the other day so I turned it off and am going to get a lower wattage bulb. Also it's one of those red bulbs so do you think if I tape paper to the sides of the tanks so that the red light doesn't seep out into the room at night that my hedgies won't be disturbed by it?

Thanks for all your help
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Some hedgies don't mind the red light, some are bothered by it and won't come out. I guess you can see if it bothers your hedgie, and if it does you can use the paper idea or move it somewhere where it isn't shining near your hedgie.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnufflePuff
Also it's one of those red bulbs so do you think if I tape paper to the sides of the tanks so that the red light doesn't seep out into the room at night that my hedgies won't be disturbed by it?
I odn't know your set up but I would be worrisome about using paper & a heat lamp together. If the paper heats up, there's a risk of fire.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

The paper wraps around the outside of the glass tank, and the light is facing only into the tank. Think like the printed backgrounds people always put in behind terrariums to give them a more "natural" looking background.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Lizardgirl and yes exactly what Lizardgirl said, but thanks for your concern silvercat. I'm super paranoid about fire hazards so I'm extra careful with all my heating equipment. Definitely took a a while before I didn't check on the Hedgie's cermaic heat emitters every hour to make sure they weren't burning down my house lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in