Advice for Heating Hedgie's Home Please :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for Heating Hedgie's Home Please :)

I've had Miss Muffet in her actual cage now for a few weeks but I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the temperature constant. I still have her on the first floor of our house (which is virtually one big room) until Pumpkin has her kittens-hurry already kitty! So it's proving to be a bit of a challenge at the moment, especially with dropping temps outside.

Right now I have a heat emitter that's a 60 watt bulb, but it didn't seem to be doing the trick, so I've just turned it off completely. It was okay when I had her in the temporary bin, but not enough heat now in the big cage. I got a ceramic space heater that I've been using for about a week and a half but because these are meant to heat entire rooms, there is a constant battle between this heater and my central air heat resulting in fluctuating temps in her cage. It's still basically 69 to 72 degrees but I want to get it to a steady 75 degrees as I was able to do in the small tub.

I am thinking of returning the 60 watt bulb and lamp clamp and upgrading to two 150 watt bulbs on top of each side of her cage and only using the room heater if necessary. Do you think this would be sufficient for the cage I have. All suggestions welcome!

Here's the pic of the cage which is 2 feet high by 4 feet long and the link from the Petsmart page. I took out the second story loft so it's just one floor for now and may (or may not) add it back (with walls of course) in the future.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753350

Thanks in advance for your help. I have to keep my little girl happy and healthy!

Oh and btw- She got her first bath ever last night! She's still pretty tiny so I held off until she grew a bit. We did an Aveeno bath in the kitchen sink (lol) with a little washcloth for support and traction under her feet~ or in case she wanted out of the water! She did great and didn't even make a peep about getting out! I think we're going to do the full bath tub next time~ I'm pretty sure she'll love it! I also gave her a little flax seed oil rinse (she's still quilling at 9 weeks-poor girl- but losing less now and her new big girl quills are so pretty...you know as far as quills go!) and I even attempted to trim her nails. They aren't that long but I wanted to at least try on the longer ones. Eh, she's not a fan so far!

~Melissa and Miss Muffet

Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Advice for Heating Hedgie's Home Please :)

No one?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Personally i'd just keep trying different things. I think the idea of having 2 CHE's is good but you probably won't need 150W on each. One thing you could try to keep the heat in is to put up coroplast (or something like) "walls" on 3 sides of the cage. I have had to do this with my Chameleon enclosure to keep humidity up and it works quite well for humidity Just an idea.
leannem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the coroplast idea. I never thought about using it to trap the heat on the sides~my girl's more of a burrower than a climber. haha I was hoping to avoid trying a bunch of things because I'm just going to keep returning them if they don't work. Well Petsmart employees, get ready...you'll be seeing quite a bit more of me it seems! I think I'll try out one 150 watt bulb for now and stop and get some corplast for a few inches on the sides as well and go from there. Thanks for your help.

PS~ We have an exotic pet store by me that sells snakes etc and they had tiny baby chameleons at one point- OMG they were the cutest things!!! I'd never seen them as babies before~tiny little curly tail and big bug eyes! :P

~Melissa and Miss Muffet
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

One idea I can think of as a temporary thing if the other ones don't work is if you have an upstairs bathroom you could always put your set up in there if theres enough room and if you have a fan set up to ventillate the steam out. Because its a smaller area it might be easier to heat and then it won't keep you up all night. If you have a second bathroom that is not used as much that might be even better because there wouldn't be as much humidity from the showers and you could probably keep it heated easier
Old 12-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh I sooo wish I had a bigger bathroom...that's where pregnant kitty would be right now and solve all my problems!! lol I've thought about the bathroom but unfortunately it's teeny tiny and the only place to keep her cage in there would be the tub. I'm actually thinking that I may bring her into the bedroom and see how well we do with the wheel at night. I know my fiance' has fallen asleep before downstairs in the livingroom where Muffey stays for now, so maybe I could also try her out in the bedroom if he doesn't mind hearing her at night. I'll have to see if he was bothered by her when he was downstairs. Hmmm we shall see!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got a 150 watt bulb and new lamp last night and it is exactly perfect for what I needed!! I have it attached at the center/top of the cage and it stays at almost exactly 75 degrees. I'm so happy!! Oh and it's been a long week, the picture I posted of my cage...that's not even the cage I have! lol I'm losing my mind!

This is the cage I have...though I didn't get that sale price Petco has it for!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in