CHE set up - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
Yes, everything I linked will work happily together. The lamp and bulb are different brands, but the lamp has the special base required to work with a CHE.

Full disclosure: I actually use bulbs from my local mega-chain petsore, PetSmart, because it lets me easily return bulbs if they're broken. So, I'm using an All Living Things CHE and a nothing-special no-particular-recommendation ZooMed digital thermometer to check temperatures. The rest of my heating setup (and timer) came from Pet & Pond, and I'm totally happy with their customer service, shipping speed, quality, etc.

Everyone else's advice on this thread is solid. I know the pain of, "I live in small-town Canada where no one local has anything, and most online shops have ridiculous cross-border shipping fees." There are certainly other suppliers if you look hard enough, I just found Pet & Pond stellar for having everything in one place for one package of hedgehog-heating happiness!

If you upload a photo of your cage, we might be able to suggest how to make heat and light work. It also helps to know what your ambient house temperature is or where the cage is located, as that can also help predict how hard the CHEs will need to work to maintain temperature.

If the cage is fairly small, 1 lamp is probably fine.
If the cage is fairly big, 2 lamps is probably needed.
If your household temperature is generally above 22C and the cage is away from windows, outside walls, etc, you probably need a 100W bulb.
If your household temperature is generally below 22C or the cage is near windows, outside walls, etc, you probably need a 150W bulb.
Will take a photo when I get back home! I bought from the website the light clamp, a 150 wat bulb, and a thermostat, I have a hygrometer at home we have been using for a temperature gauge. Our house is usually kept fairly warm, I would say around 22 c at te least, but having her in our room, 25 c has been almost sweltering for my boyfriend! Hopefully the set up comes soon I am excited to set it up I also bought her a 'snuggle tent' which will be an awesome hide out and sleeping area. Her cage is on a dresser by the wall away from a window, but we do live in a basement suite!
Bossyxox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Awesome!

If after you get the setup, the heat lamp seems to always be on, you might need a second lamp. If not, then you've guessed right!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just a question Annie, we got Ginger a new cage (Living Room series rabbit home, 41.5'' L X 17.5'' W X 26''H)
And I am thinking we will be needing another CHE! As the CHE seems to be on an awful lot, and I don't want to keep the temperature up in my house alllll the time either, SO I do not mind buying another heating lamp
Question is though, right now I have the 150W you recommended to me which works awesome- but if I have two lamps, can I get away with using a much lower wattage with one, say a 40 or 60 W on the opposite side, with my regular 150W on the opposite side? Any insight is appreciated Thanks again Canadian hedgie friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
Awesome!

If after you get the setup, the heat lamp seems to always be on, you might need a second lamp. If not, then you've guessed right!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

I know Nancy uses a 60W paired with a 100W for her setup.

Because you'd be running both lamps off one thermostat, the probe might give artificially high or low readings if you have it directly under the 150W or 60W lamp, so you might need to fiddle with probe-placement to figure out a good spot for an average reading. You might end up with a hotter region and a cooler region, but if it's all within a degree (manually check with your thermometer), it should be fine.
Bossyxox likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you!! You are awesome, that helps me out a bunch.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nancy, Annie had said she believes you use a 100W CHE paired with a 60W- I am wondering if it is possible that with my 150W CHE on the one side or my new massive cage, I can pair it with a 40 or 60W to bump up the all around heat? I am noticing my CHE is on all the time (it seems) now that we have our new cage, and I don't want to be keeping the heat up allllll the time cranked. Usually I have it at a good room temperature, but my man runs hot and we are moving Ginger to the living room as her cage is so ginormous haha. I am not opposed to buying another CHE, and placing it at the other side of her cage at all, just wondering what wattage I should go with? Gingers new cage measurements are below
(Living Room series rabbit home, 41.5'' L X 17.5'' W X 26''H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
The size of the cage, type of cage and temperature of the room dictates how many and what size emitter you will need.

My personal feelings are to go with an emitter that will do the job, but is not over kill. If a 100 watt emitter works, you don't need to go higher.

Right now Samson is in a 42" x 20" wire cage and he has a 100w emitter set on top in the middle and a 60w to the left of it over his igloo. This arrangement works well and keeps his cage a comfortable 75F. I'm using a ReptiTemp 500R and it holds the temperature within 1F. Even last week when the bedroom got down to 61F, his cage stayed at 75F.

Position of the cage in the room also makes a difference. Being on an inside wall, away from a window, and table or dresser height helps as well.

You may also find you need to enclose the sides of the cage. Right now I don't need to, but have had to in the past. I use heavy clear plastic like is sold at fabric stores. I use binder clips or clothespins to hold it on. Clear plastic holds the heat but still allows light through.

The fixture should be wired to the top of the cage to prevent it sliding off. The clamps that come with the fixture are known for coming loose with time and movement which allows fixture to fall.

Using a 10" fixture not only spreads the heat out further, but helps prolong emitter life. Make certain the fixture you buy is rated for a CHE. Not all are, and if it doesn't say it is, it's not safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in