A space heater that doesn't get too hot - any suggestions? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A space heater that doesn't get too hot - any suggestions?

Until now I've just been using a 150W ceramic heater hooked up to a thermostat for my 3 X 2 panel C&C cage. However, I have recently expanded the cage to a 4 X 2 panel cage, and have just gotten a second hedgie that is also in a 4 X 2 panel C&C cage, also with a 150W ceramic heater hooked up to a thermomstat. Due to the large cage sizes, I've been told that one 150W heater for each cage isn't enough and that I should get a space heater instead.

My question is does anyone use/know of space heaters that don't get too hot? It already feels like it's 100 degrees in this room, and I don't think I could stand it being much hotter. I think the problem is the heat emitter I have is too little to keep the temp constant. It seems to range from 75-81, which is a big fluctuation. I was thinking maybe getting two smaller space heaters and then having one 150W ceramic heat emitter and one space heater hooked up to each thermomstat (there's two plugs), that way the cages are controlled independently of eachother.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A space heater that doesn't get too hot - any suggestions?

Actually...I don't see a reason to get a space heater. If anything, you need to find a way from the room getting too hot, by the sounds of things. 81 may actually be too hot for some hedgies.

From reading the forum, it seems that the ideal(or I guess most common?) is somewhere between 74-77. And you say that your cages drop to 75, and not any lower(lower being my assumption from what you've written).

Ideally, I think you need to find a way to keep the room a bit cooler, so that the temp in the cages stop rising all the way up to 81, and keep the range down to 75-76.

So as long as their sleeping/wheel area is kept at the ideal, then I don't see a real reason to get a space heater.

You'll probably find a space heater more appropriate during winter.

*Edit to add: I can't imagine what the humidity would be like...Using a space heater in the summer, and how stuffy it would be in that room. It would be a different situation if your a/c was keeping the room very cool, but since you say it only fluctuates down to 75, I don't see the need for the space heater.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Your fluctuations in temperature is probably because of the size of the cages with only one heat emitter per cage. Large C&C's are very difficult to control the temperature of as there is nothing to hold the heat in. One thing you can try is to block off the back of the cages and see if that makes any difference.

I use an oil filled heater. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...d%2BHeater.jsp It works great and is pretty accurate at keeping the temperature consistent. The only time it doesn't is if it's really windy as we live in an old drafty house.

Space heaters have their own thermostat so you won't and can't plug them into the thermostat you already have. Having a space heater and heating the whole room means you won't need to use the emitters.

You won't need a heater during the summer except when the nights start to get cool in late summer. If you use air conditioning, simply block off the vents to that room or if a bit of A/C is needed, only block part of the vent.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Your fluctuations in temperature is probably because of the size of the cages with only one heat emitter per cage. Large C&C's are very difficult to control the temperature of as there is nothing to hold the heat in. One thing you can try is to block off the back of the cages and see if that makes any difference.

I use an oil filled heater. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...d%2BHeater.jsp It works great and is pretty accurate at keeping the temperature consistent. The only time it doesn't is if it's really windy as we live in an old drafty house.

Space heaters have their own thermostat so you won't and can't plug them into the thermostat you already have. Having a space heater and heating the whole room means you won't need to use the emitters.

You won't need a heater during the summer except when the nights start to get cool in late summer. If you use air conditioning, simply block off the vents to that room or if a bit of A/C is needed, only block part of the vent.
Thanks for the advice Nancy. Is the oil filled heater generally safe to leave on when you're not home? The only thing about getting a space heater is that if I won't be able to use my ceramic heaters and thermostat anymore, then I have $200 of equipment laying around that I can't use. Do you think it'd be alright to use the ceramic heaters in the summer/early fall and then switch to a space heater in the winter? You said I don't even need the heating in the summer, so if I dial down the thermostat low enough, they'll only go on when it's chilly in the night, and I think the temp should stay more constant if I turn them down a bit. My coroplast walls are fairly high, so the back is pretty much covered already. I don't have air conditioning so that's not a problem either.

My concern was that it wasn't warm enough because my one hedgehog has started to eat a little less than normal, but maybe the problem is that it's too warm???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in