Heating Lamp? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Heating Lamp?

Okay, so I finally managed to get my heat lamp... (I was testing it out before I got my Hedgie) Well after coming back from throwing some laundry down the chute, I noticed a smell... like something was burning ... I unplugged it immediately and when I checked it nothing was wrong I felt the cage and it wasn't warm... and I have no idea what happened so now I'm worried for my safety and my hedgehogs when I get it.

I have this heat lamp
which has a 250 watt capacity (which I will never get that high in watts)
http://www.amazon.com/Woods-0166-Reflec ... 2+250+watt

And I use a 60 watt CHE
http://www.amazon.com/All-Living-Things ... iving+heat

So what I am wondering is that smell normal when first using it? Is it dangerous? Should I refund and get a different one?
please answer ASAP I'm getting my little guy on the 20th
chris-chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Heating Lamp?

Clicked on the lamp link, and I'm not seeing anything on the page that says it's safe to use with CHE, even if it has a porcelain socket. I would return the lamp and find one that definitely says it can be used with CHE. That might be the cause of the burning smell. Though, I know sometimes when a new CHE bulb heats up for the first time, it can also have a bit of a smell...so I'm not sure, it could be that? I would still double-check on the lamp anyway, just to be safe.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

The description isn't quite enough for me to make clear recommendations, so I have to look at it more broadly.

" . . . and it wasn't warm . . . "
That's a problem. It could be the emitter. Even the best ones have a defect rate, and I don't recognize the brand that you have. I had a new emitter go bad (short) in its first season.

I would test the lamp with a regular bulb. The lamp looks fine; size, rating, ceramic fittings . . . I use Fluker lamps, but what you have looks fine.

When CHEs fire up for the first time each day (or night), they typically get extremely hot. (I use 150s.) Depending on where they are located, and the material of the cage lid, it wouldn't be surprising for high heat to cause a smell. But you said that it didn't get warm, much less hot, so I would be inclined to suspect a bad emitter. If so, that would be a fire hazard to my mind and it shouldn't be used.

Lilysmommy makes a good point about 'first ever firing', and maybe that causing a smell. I see that as a good point. The only thing there is your saying " . . . and it wasn't warm . . . "

.................................................. ...............................

Quote:
I had a new emitter go bad (short) in its first season.
I make a point of feeling each emitter when I check on her each night. If they have been on relatively recently, they will still be warm. This is how I discovered the emitter with the short. It was cold. After removing it and playing around with it, I found that by fiddling with the fixture I could make it 'unshort' and then 'short' again. Obviously, I pitched it immediately and replaced with another emitter. I keep on extra on hand 'just in case'.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I don't think those hoods are safe to use with a CHE. You could be smelling an overloaded circuit, too.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandPlenty
The description isn't quite enough for me to make clear recommendations, so I have to look at it more broadly.

" . . . and it wasn't warm . . . "
That's a problem. It could be the emitter. Even the best ones have a defect rate, and I don't recognize the brand that you have. I had a new emitter go bad (short) in its first season.

I would test the lamp with a regular bulb. The lamp looks fine; size, rating, ceramic fittings . . . I use Fluker lamps, but what you have looks fine.

When CHEs fire up for the first time each day (or night), they typically get extremely hot. (I use 150s.) Depending on where they are located, and the material of the cage lid, it wouldn't be surprising for high heat to cause a smell. But you said that it didn't get warm, much less hot, so I would be inclined to suspect a bad emitter. If so, that would be a fire hazard to my mind and it shouldn't be used.

Lilysmommy makes a good point about 'first ever firing', and maybe that causing a smell. I see that as a good point. The only thing there is your saying " . . . and it wasn't warm . . . "

.................................................. ...............................

Quote:
I had a new emitter go bad (short) in its first season.
I make a point of feeling each emitter when I check on her each night. If they have been on relatively recently, they will still be warm. This is how I discovered the emitter with the short. It was cold. After removing it and playing around with it, I found that by fiddling with the fixture I could make it 'unshort' and then 'short' again. Obviously, I pitched it immediately and replaced with another emitter. I keep on extra on hand 'just in case'.
It gets warm, I re-heated the lamp last night to see if the smell continues, and it was over 80 when I checked the temp... it was that I had it on for about 5 to 7 minutes when I smelt it so I turned it off immediately. I'll try it again today when I return home and double check it could just be my house that made it that warm.

I don't think the CHE is faulty because when I placed my hand underneath it, it was warm... I'm wondering was a 60 watt bulb good enough or should I have gone for a 100?
I originally went with a 60 watt because I was checking the temp. chart on the side and it appeared the 60 watt would be good enough.
GAH! complications are just lovely...
chris-chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in