Heating Help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heating Help

Okay I am pulling my hair out over this.

I have this cage that has clear pexi glass on the back and two sides.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo

And Inside of the cage we have a wheel, a igloo a food bowl and a water bottle.

Then on top of it I have a 10 inch light thing with a 150 watt CHE on it. I also have a 5.5 inch light thing with a reg light bulb in it for light.

I have a Zoo Med temp thing on it also to kick the heat on and off.

The problem is I have a Thermometer that you use in a car with the sensor hanging in the cage but after all of this I cannot get the temp right in her cage. The Thermometer says its about 70 in the cage but then I use the forehead thermometer to check the cage it shows allot higher like around 75.

This is driving me CRAZY. When I take Helga out she is warm but he is always breathing hard in the cage and she NEVER NEVER plays on her wheel. She is seven weeks old and will be two months old on the 22nd.

Please help me I am not sure what else I can do.

Thanks
Dianna
aka Helga's mom

Princess Helga Brave Heart Born Jan 22, 2013
darkwingdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Heating Help

I deleted your other thread - it doesn't usually make much of a difference to post the same thing in multiple forums, and it can make things cluttered and confusing.

Hm...I think it sounds like the thermometer isn't working right - how long have you had it? Can you return or exchange it and get a new one and see if the temp read out is different?

What temperature is your house, too? And are you absolutely sure the CHE is turning on/off? Sometimes the CHE bulb is faulty and doesn't heat up properly or at all.

Can you describe the breathing a little more? It sounds like she's probably just defensive, but if you think she's having breathing issues, she may need to go to the vet. The not running could be from not warm enough, but it can also be from a multitude of other things like a wheel she's not comfortable with, too much light in the room at night when she would come out, or just not having the hang of the wheel yet.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

We keep our house at 69 or 70 (depends who is home hubby likes 70 I work midnight's and don't like the heat blowing in my face when I sleep).

I am sure its turning on and off. I will be getting two new thermometers on Tuesday. I think and hope that is the problem. When I pick her up she is nice and warm and does play after we turn the lights off but she does not like the wheel. I put her in it and move it a little so she knows what its for but she gets off of it. But she LOVES to play in her play Pin and run around while the kids run around the house. She really enjoys playing with them.

Her Breathing. I don't think its a problem. When I take her Igloo off she is almost like she is breathing hard but once I pick her up she is fine. So I think its just her being a baby. i did notice Quills in her cage today so i think that is part of the issue with that. We played together tonight before I came to work and she was fine. I even thought she was purring at me.

My husband says I am just worried about her way to much. But I just don't want to mess things up and hurt her.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Heh, we're no strangers to worrying around here! :P

I'm guessing the breathing hard is just typical hissing/defensive behavior then, from your description. Like you said, not a problem and she may or may not stop doing it. Most hedgies don't appreciate being woken up, so will still be defensive, no matter how long you've had them or how cuddly they are once they know it's you.

Agreed that it's probably the thermometer. I hope the new ones work better! What kind of wheel do you have, and how big is it? Sometimes they don't like a specific wheel because it feels wobbly (Comfort Wheels can be wobbly when on a flat bedding like fleece, so it can help to secure it to the wall), or the tilt is wrong (with cake cover wheels and bucket wheels, depending on how they're made, you can adjust them so they tilt forward or back more - if it's tilted too far forward, it's easy for them to slide out while running), or their nails are too long and making them trip, or for other reasons that can be hard to figure out! There are the occasional hedgehog that just don't like wheels though - they prefer to just run around their cage for their exercise/entertainment. So if you can't find any issues with the wheel or anything that might be discouraging her from using it, it could just be that.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

The breathing you describe sounds like huffing it's what they do when they are little upset it usually comes with raised quills or a fully balled up hedgehog but sometimes they huff without raising a quill (at least my guy does but he might be weird).

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah Helga is the same way. She wont ball up or anything she will just Huff at me. Kind of funny.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

Today I got TWO new thermometers for Princess Helga Brave hearts cage and I FINELY was able to get her cage between 74-76. SO SO very happy. She now has Three thermometers in her cage but I know for a fact she will stay warm enough.

Now I just need to be able to get her to come out and play more. I am going to pick up a new wheel this weekend and see if she will play on that. What is better the bucket one for the saucer one?

Thank you SO much for your help.

Dianna

Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like the bucket wheels better than the saucer. they are not running on an angle.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you. I am going to look into making and buying one. Not sure what would be better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in