Keeping my hedgie warm during cold weather - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Keeping my hedgie warm during cold weather

I'm a first-time hedgie owner, so I still get nervous about making sure my hedgehog (Bagel!) is comfortable even though I've done as much research as I can.

One question I keep seeing varying answers to is what temperature is best for hedgehogs. I keep Bagel in a large bin rather than a cage, so I have a heating lamp attached to the side. A few days ago I started to worry something was wrong because every time I checked on Bagel, he was sprawled out on his tummy instead of curled up into a ball like he usually slept. I told the breeder I had bought him from and she told me it was likely because he was too warm, so I turned down the temp a few degrees and sure enough, he was back to sleeping in ball form in just a little bit!

But now the weather is getting colder and I'm paranoid about Bagel getting too cold and trying to hibernate. What is the ideal temperature for a hedgehog's bin/cage? Before he started splatting, the temp was set to 76F, and it fluctuated from about 74F-78F. Now it's set to 74F and fluctuates from about 72F-75F. I also now have a blanket lining the outside of the back of his bin because I'm hoping that will help keep the entire bin warm as opposed to just where the lamp is situated.
bagelbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have only one heat lamp set to 76 F, because two heat lamps could make a small space like a bin real hot. I think that 74 right now with 2 heat lamps is good, but how cold does it normally get overnight and during the day where you are?
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky_Floof<3 View Post
I have only one heat lamp set to 76 F, because two heat lamps could make a small space like a bin real hot. I think that 74 right now with 2 heat lamps is good, but how cold does it normally get overnight and during the day where you are?
Now that it's getting cooler, during the day it's usually mid-60s to mid-70s and lower 50s overnight. We usually turn on the heat in the house before going to bed.
bagelbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think if you have the lamp set to 74-76 or so, you should be good, do your lamps have a setting that turns it off when they reach the desired temperature?
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would be more worried about your Hedgie being too hot than too cold, I use a heating pad under my Hedgie's bedding, and it keeps my her warm. she likes lying down on the heating pad, another great thing about this is if she gets too warm, she can always move to another area of her cage.
Marijna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in