Current setup not quite warm enough -- 150 vs 200 watts? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Current setup not quite warm enough -- 150 vs 200 watts?

I am picking up my hedgehog tomorrow, but have been running my cage setup for two days to make sure everything is ok. It is a critter nation with a 150 watt CHE on top.

I am finding that the temperature is perfect when the CHE and incandescent bulb are both running, but the overnight low is too low when the bulb is off. I am going to put in a heat mat tomorrow, but I don't like it as a long-term solution. I'm going to raise the overnight setting on my home thermostat as well to give some relief.

My CHE lamp is rated to 200 watts and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with how much warmer a 200 watt CHE is than a 150. Other than "33% warmer" I am hoping that it could make a 3-4 degree difference overnight.

Thanks!
fredmertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Current setup not quite warm enough -- 150 vs 200 watts?

I don't have any experience (or recall anyone else on here mentioning them) with using a 200-watt. Something else you might be able to try before getting a new bulb - clipping some extra fleece or blankets on both sides and the back of the cage, covering maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the walls. It might help hold some heat in and make a difference in the night temperature. Do you have a thermostat controlling the CHE as well? Normally it gets recommended to try two lower-watt lamps to spread heat out more effectively, but I'm not sure CN cages are big enough for that to be terribly necessary, so a 200-watt might be alright as long as it's controlled by a thermostat.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

The cage that I hve is relatively long and hve found that two 100 or 150's work well to cover both ends.

If yours is more square, I have a 215 watt bulb if you'd like it. It's just hanging out in my hedgie's closet.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have one 150 on my ferret nation (similar to your critter nation) that just isn't doing well enough on it's own. I did the wall coverings (like Lilysmommy has suggested) and it helps, just be careful about fire safety with the fabrics near the heat lamp. An option I considered was plexiglass on the sides and back to help keep the heat in without having fabric to worry about.

In any case, with a thermostat the 200 watt would probably be much better than a 150. The Nation cages are just so big and open to heat!

I've ordered a space heater with a thermostat, so hopefully that will work well enough! My room (Quinnlee's room) happens to be the only room in the apartment that the central heat doesn't heat...

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I opted for a second ceramic heater and it performed very well last night. On a different topic, HOLY COW Petco is a bad place to buy CHEs and thermostats. 2x the price on Amazon, so I ordered on Amazon and will return the new ones to Petco. Shame on me
fredmertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmertz
On a different topic, HOLY COW Petco is a bad place to buy CHEs and thermostats. 2x the price on Amazon, so I ordered on Amazon and will return the new ones to Petco.
Agree. I tend to not purchase lighting equipment from major pet stores haha. I'm glad the second fixture is working so well!!

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got heat lamp bulbs from the local hardware store (about 5 bucks a bulb) since all the petstore ones are about 75-100 watts. Living in a home where LP is our only heat, our house stays about 58-60 degrees, and that's why I got higher wattage heating bulbs. I had to do a lot of fidgeting and testing to make sure the cage setup would be at a consistant temperature, and I have two thermometers in the cage so I get a reading from both ends since my cage is made out of plastic bins, and half of it has a smaller one above for just the running wheel. My day one is 150 watts and my night one is 250 Watts. I have them jimmywrigged so that the night light is farther away from the cage (where it is at most 80 degrees). The day one is closer to the cage, and with both, I can keep it consistantly between 78-80 degrees.
We plan on installing a traditional hot wat radiator system to our home soon, and when that happens, we won't need to worry so much, as it most likey be about 80 degrees throughout the entire house with how we have things planned (plus our plans involve using the water heat to make it less dry, so less drin skin for everyone, including the hedgie).

If you go with higher voltage, just play with your setup to make it an ideal temperature inside. Many people seem to place their heaters on the top of the cage (similar to reptile cages i believe) but if it is a higer wattage, you might want to add a board that sticks up from the cage so you can clasp your heat lamps to it. I don't have anything on mine, the cage is in front of a bookshelf built in the wall, so I use that to clamp my lamps to.

Pindsvin, my metal loving Hedgehog
Treben, my crazy three-legged cat (with Pinkie Pie)
Nekkhalen, my kinked tail, laid back cuddle-bug cat

(R.I.P Rhododendron- Rescued Jan/13, passed away 11/26/13)
Chihirolee3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in