Just got my baby today and the heat lamp setup is not shipped yet, what should i do? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just got my baby today and the heat lamp setup is not shipped yet, what should i do?

Hi guys.
so I just got my baby today but I can't find a set up for him. Drove to petsmart, Petco but no luck. what should I do to substitute the CHE set up until it delivers to my house?
thank you so much
beanthehogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

If you have a thermometer put it in or next to the cage to monitor temperature. Then just keep the room's temperature in an safe range. Either keep the house heat/furnace turned up or if you have a space heater, use it.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
If you have a thermometer put it in or next to the cage to monitor temperature. Then just keep the room's temperature in an safe range. Either keep the house heat/furnace turned up or if you have a space heater, use it.
I have a space heater and i keep it lower than the table which i placed the cage on. Is it good enough? or should i find something to have the space heater face with the cage?

He was scrolling like a ball but now i can see his face. is it a good sign. ill try to find the thermostat at home depot tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You don't want the space heater blowing on the cage if it has a fan. Just in the general area to keep the air temperature warm enough.

Any thermometer will work for now just to help you figure out what the temperature is and to keep an eye on it.

Hedgehogs can behave in many ways as they adjust to their new environment. If he is out exploring, looking around that's good. But one that is more shy and hiding is just fine too.

Snuffle!
Old 10-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't want the space heater blowing on the cage if it has a fan. Just in the general area to keep the air temperature warm enough.

Any thermometer will work for now just to help you figure out what the temperature is and to keep an eye on it.

Hedgehogs can behave in many ways as they adjust to their new environment. If he is out exploring, looking around that's good. But one that is more shy and hiding is just fine too.
Thank you for your question. Should i keep him in the cage for 48 hours without touching as the lady at the pet store said? Also i see him breathing pretty fast? Is it normal?
Old 10-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

You'll find lots of differing opinions of when to interact. I've always been of the opinion that 48 hours is too long. I do rescue work, and even with rescues I tend to leave them to settle in over night. Look in on him in the morning, see if he has eaten, gone to the bathroom, etc. I also start weighing them to monitor health at that time. In the evening, I start them on their new routine. Start slow, if he is nervous, provide security in the form of a blanket to hide in or a snuggle bag. Cuddle with him if he wants to do nothing but hide. If he wants to explore let him. If his exploration seems to become overly energetic or frantic, offer security in the form of a blanket to hide again. Sometimes what appears to be energetic playfulness is actually them starting to become frantic and needing security.

Snuffle!
Old 10-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You'll find lots of differing opinions of when to interact. I've always been of the opinion that 48 hours is too long. I do rescue work, and even with rescues I tend to leave them to settle in over night. Look in on him in the morning, see if he has eaten, gone to the bathroom, etc. I also start weighing them to monitor health at that time. In the evening, I start them on their new routine. Start slow, if he is nervous, provide security in the form of a blanket to hide in or a snuggle bag. Cuddle with him if he wants to do nothing but hide. If he wants to explore let him. If his exploration seems to become overly energetic or frantic, offer security in the form of a blanket to hide again. Sometimes what appears to be energetic playfulness is actually them starting to become frantic and needing security.
I'm kinda nervous because this is my first time handling a hedgehog. Like i saw him walking toward the wheel and then just snugged himself under the wheel. So i took the wheel out because the wheel is equiped to the cage. Now he is up but wont move.
Some of the bedding got into his bowl so im not so sure if he has eaten anything yet. Definitely saw his poop. I bought him a warmth and hopefully he will get used to it. Should i shred my shirt and put it all over the cage with the bedding?
Ill try to get him to the vet next week for a check up just to make sure he is okay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in