winter? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default winter?

As winter/fall approaches, I am wondering how to heat my hedgehogs cage? I don't have a lot of money, and right now only have one ceramic heat emitter pointed at her sleeping area. Wondering how I can heat her cage without spending a ton of money? Thanks!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

A room heater will be cheaper to buy than a CHE set up (you can pick them up for like 30-40 quid) but it will be more expensive to run. Some also offer a snugglesafe heat pad (that you heat in the microwave, and it retains heat for about 8 hours). The latter is only a very short term solution though, and still may not be enough if the room your hog is in is cold.

How cold is your room? Because depending on your room temp, you may need a room heater instead of an additional CHE - especially if you have a large, barred enclosure.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

It depends on the type of cage. If it is a wire cage covering a few sides and a part of the top will keep more heat in.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

One thing that helped me tremendously, but one you might not think about, is also the position of their enclosure. For the longest time, I had Christina pushed up against the only exterior wall in my bedroom and I was still struggling with temp control even with two lamps. The fact that it was an exterior wall definitely lowered her house temp, so depending on where your setup is, you might consider moving it!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

My room right now is in the 80s-70s. In the winter (our house is heated) it is probably around 60s-50s ish? I havent had her for winter yet so I'm not sure... Right now at night, I put a fan in my window and cover the parts of her cage where she sleeps and her wheel. Can I just hang, for example, a wool blanket on the side of the cage? Or do I need to do the top? Will it get too stuffy? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

If your room is that cold you need a room heater. In a barred enclosure, a ceramic heat emitter (or even two) will struggle in a room that cold. There will be too much fluctuation and you’ll be looking at a potential hibernation attempt. 10-15 degrees is freezing to a hedgehog.

For now; Don’t cover the entire cage, as we still need adequate air flow. But if you wanted to leave maybe the front exposed, you can safely cover the sides, back & roof. Heat rises, so the most important thing to cover is as much as the roof as possible as this is where the majority of your heat will escape from. You shouldn’t need to remove the blankets and re-fix them either; so long as the front is exposed, and your room is well lit (artificially is fine), she will get adequate light.

Please do be careful when covering the roof though; absolutely no part of the blanket should be touching any part of your existing heat set up or it will pose a fire hazard.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in