Hedgehog Central banner

whats the best heating method?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  belties 
#1 ·
Hello, i'm new here but a friend recommended this place where i can ask questions.

I have a 6 month old little boy and i would like to know what type of heating item i can use for him, have a wire cage for him.

I have seen many recommendations on what to use but i'm still unsure...

#2 ·
For me personally, I love using CHE's. If money isn't an issue for you, you can either heat up the entire house or get a space heater to heat up the room.

Heating pads are not a sufficient source of heating as they don't heat the air of the cage properly. They can burn hedgies so please be careful of that.

#3 ·
Ceramic Heat Emitters are best; they are an overhead heat source (which is more natural as heat comes above) and the emit zero light - which is perfect for a nocturnal species, as they wont disrupt natural behaviour.

For a wire cage, you're best off screwing the CHE into a 10' dome as it'll help direct the heat over a larger portion of the enclosure. Depending on how large your enclosure is, you may need multiple heat lamps (and even a room heater, depending on ambient room temps).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.