Thermostat - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thermostat

Hey all!
I’m a new Hedgie owner, I’ll be getting my baby in Oct or Nov.
I’m in the process of buying and preparing everything, and so far have everything under control.... except Thermostat.

Everywhere I look online says to use a thermostat but most don’t give suggestions of good ones, or if they do the product link is unusable now.
I’m in Canada and that seems to limit some possibilities as there’s more variety in the States.
On Amazon.ca there’s no thermostats that day they are specifically for Heat lamps, they mostly say for ‘Heat Mats’ and I’m not sure if they can be used for the lamps as well.... I want to make sure I get the best working thermostat without breaking my bank account too much more lol. I want to make sure my heating setup is perfect for the Hedgehog.
Alay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

Can you link the ones you’re finding? So we can tell you if they’re suitable.

When using a CHE, to get the best out of your bulb you generally want to use a Pulse thermostat (there are an array of brands) because these thermostats send ‘pulses’ of electricity to the bulb and are overall better at keeping temperatures stable with very little fluctuation.

Thermostats that are advertised for use with heat mats are going to be on/off thermostats; unlike the Pulse thermostats, these will either give the best source full power or no power at all. They’ll turn on when it drops below a certain point, and are still great at maintaining temperatures but they can kill your bulb quicker than a pulse one.

You can still use an on/off thermostat with a CHE; I do, and it honestly maintains temperatures fine. My favourite brands are Microclimate & Habistat - the latter have a slightly better rep than the first, but still both great brands!
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

These are a couple I’ve found so far, seems to be really limited, any pet stores I’ve looked at online don’t even have thermostats. And on amazon they are listed for seedling heat mats/for reptiles so I’m not sure if they would work....

Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

I know some people who use seedling thermostats with no issues but to be perfectly honest, I feel more comfortable using ones intended for animal use.

I found this site, called Northern Gecko, who are based in Canada. Here’s their selection; https://www.northerngecko.net/?subca...roducts.search

You (ideally) want a pulse thermostat to use with a CHE if you want your bulb to last the longest, but on/off (often called “mat stats”) are totally fine to use too. Dimming will be of no use to you; as they’re designed to be used in conjunction with heat lamps that emit light so that the light doesn’t turn suddenly on or off and shock the reptile.

Have a look through those; just make sure you choose the appropriate wattage!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ahh perfect thank you that looks like what I’ve been looking for!
I’d been searching online for a day and everything was meshing together and I swear I was going cross eyed 😂

I have another question, where do I put the probe of the thermostat? I watched a YouTube video where the guy said where to put the probe on a heat mat but not for a lamp. Do I attach the probe to the lamp?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

no worries at all! Just a little tip for the future - if you cant find something (like a heat lamp, lamp holder, thermostat) at a local pet store, reptile stores are pretty much guaranteed to have it.

As for where to fix the probe; you dont want to stick it directly to the lamp, as then your ambient temperatures will still be below what you want them to be. You want the probe at your hedgehogs level, as that is the temperature your pet will be experiencing. Now as far as location, there are varying opinions as to where to best locate the probe but in my experience, in dealing with both my hedgehogs & reptiles heat set ups, if you want ultimate control over the heat source stick it about 2-4" outside of the immediate projection area of the dome. By doing this, you will ensure that even the area directly under the heat lamp will be a safe and comfortable temperature for your hedgehog. Make sure the probe is not in contact with substrate or any item in your hogs cage, as this can cause it to send inaccurate info to your heat lamp and could cause it to either overheat or not heat enough.

Some people stick them half way across the enclosure but by doing so, the area immediately under the heat lamp is going to be several degrees hotter than what you have the thermostat set at. So i always recommend what i mentioned previously; keeping the probe within 2-4" of the dome.

Hope that wasnt too confusing! Let me know if you want something cleared up; i was trying to not make it sound overcomplicated haha, and im not too sure if i succeeded
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

No that makes perfect sense thank you so much for all your help!!! I’ve got the stuff ordered now so I’m gonna be all prepared!
Emc likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in