Deep Heat Projector? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Emc

Default Deep Heat Projector?

So I've been using Arcadias Deep Heat Projector with our Leopard Gecko for a couple months now, and lately with the release of an 80W version (they previously only sold 50W) I've been curious about possibly switching out Coco's ceramic heat emitter with one.

They don't emit any light, so they wont bother a crepuscular or nocturnal species and are said to be far superior than a typical CHE bulb. In the words of their founder; "The CHE produces Infra-Red-C which is non-terrestrial and is not bio-available as it heats air. The DHP produces both I-R-A and I-R-B which is very bioavailable, supplying energy deep into the dermis and for around half the energy of a CHE. It is wild-like, usable and energy efficient."

From experience using them, their super power efficient bulbs too. The 50W DHP outperforms a 100W CHE, so I can only imagine how powerful the 80W would be. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and trying it out. I know a lot of reptile folk who switched to them from CHE said their animal seemed more energised, so I'd wonder if it'd have the same effect on hogs too.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Maybe you could try it and see how well it holds heat before switching it out?
Dont want coco having a hibernation attempt! It sounds good though but I'd do a test to see how well it does to maintain and circulate heat before just swapping it ove
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Idk how it would effect their activity, but it sounds like the DHP are a LOT more energy efficient which is a major plus imo. I’m interested enough now to look into it...
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

Yeah I might steal Haku's tonight to see how it performs before going out and buying her one; theyre not too much more expensive than a CHE by exoterra - but theyre still like 40 bucks a pop. His heat goes off at night time, so its not like he'll notice haha. I never thought of doing it before because his is only 50W and at the time, that was the only wattage they sold. I have a room heater that keeps the room from dropping below 20C but I like to keep Coco's cage (especially because its where she sleeps) at 24C and need a 150W CHE to keep temps from fluctuating too much.

It'll be interesting to see how even just the 50W compares to her 150W CHE bulb. It does great with Haku, and maintains his temperatures brilliantly across his 4ft viv and his is set at 33C - but his is a wooden enclosure, and Coco has an open C&C den. Anyways, just crossed my mind today and wanted to see if anyone else has tried it or considered it haha. I'll give it a go tonight and see what I think!
Old 09-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Just be careful - the facebook group theres been like 3 hibernation attempts today because its getting colder.
If you've got the heater then it should be fine but I'd stay up the first couple hours just to make sure it goes well!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

Oh for sure, we had a minor scare with Coco back in early March so ever since then I've been overly precautious when it comes to heating. We had a storm, and the temperatures dropped suddenly - and at the time, she had a 100W and the room heater wasnt on (because the central heating was being used, and the room kept the heat for hours after it was turned off). But the sudden drop caught everyone off guard, and she acted like she was trying to hibernate. Never did, thankfully! we interrupted just in time; i checked on her earlier than usual, so was able to intervene. But ever since then I dont take chances with heating and the room heater is always plugged in (its on a thermostat, so keeps temps constant) and i check her temps multiple times a day haha. I appreciate the heads up though!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

I know what you mean I'm extra careful with the heat too! My brothers like trying to freeze the house (I swear they want to live in Antarctica!) Thats the main reason I have her in the vivarium its better for her because I got a almost hibernation attempt when she was in her large zoozone and couldn't keep it warm enough because the little bugger likes it at 26 and my family like the house at the most 22!
And today seems to be the day of hibernation attempts in the uk!
Old 10-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

How did this turn out btw? I notice you still recommending CHEs so does that mean this isn't good for hedgehogs?
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emc

I only had a 50W to test, and it certainly didnt compare to the power of a 150W but thats not surprising. I believe the 50W is supposed to have the same power of a 100W, so it'd be better suited to someone using a wooden viv (Coco has a C&C cage, so needs a higher wattage bulb).

I absolutely love the deep heat projector for my Leo, and I'm sure it could replace a CHE easily in an enclosed set up (like a viv, or just enclosed enclosure in general). It's just I recently forked out close to €500 as Co was diagnosed with mammary cancer, and needs a implant replaced annually thats €120 a pop - so i just cant justify forking out the money for DHP that may not work for my particular set up, so i havent bought one as a result.

If you have the right style enclosure, i honestly see no reason for why it wouldnt work. I think it's just better suited to viv-style set ups, personally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in