Cage getting to hot - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2019, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cage getting to hot

The summers where I live get really hot. Day's are usually around 80 or 90 and can sometimes even get to 100 and my mom doesn't like to cool the house a ton because of bills and stuff. It's only spring right now and it's getting to about high 60's outside, but starting from around 4 it gets really hot in my room because the sun basically bakes my room and there's no break from 4 to sunset. Even typing this at almost 11 at night with my fan having been on all day long and opening my window like 10 minutes ago, Stella's thermometer reads 81. The heatlamp has not been on at all but it is still way to hot for her. I'm really worried for the summer because it's still only spring here and it's way to hot. The cooling hasn't been turned on in my house yet so it should probably get a little cooler but I'm still worried for my little hedgie child because the summers here are not the funnest. Any recommendations for my little hedgie so she doesn't overheat?
Stella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 02:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here's a thread on this topic:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...continent.html

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

You can have a fan or a few fans in the room not pointing directly at the cage to cool the air (you could even have it set on a thermostat to make sure it turns off without it getting too cold)

You can try frozen water bottle or ice pack wrapped up fleece to cool the cage air (if you have bars place it on them near you che) wouldn't use them at the same time unless your actually there.

And having a window open (as long as the cage isnt directly in front of the window. I also wouldnt do this with any other method while no one can keep changing the temp.

ALWAYS keep an eye on the cage temp as you dont want to bring it too low.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's good to keep an eye on the temp. 81 isn't terribly hot. African pygmy hedgehogs are from the dessert. Cold temps below 72 or 70 are much more of a concern. Of course, each hedgehog has different tolerances.

If it's only in the 60's outside, opening a window will certainly cool your room. You may want to consider opening that window earlier in the day so that it won't get so hot in the late afternoon. Open the window when you wake up so the room can begin to cool. As long as the cage isn't near the window so that the CHE can still come on if needed, that should do just fine.

Our outside temps are already in the 90's. Opening our windows only make it hotter.

My hedgehog cage is often around 80, up to 82, so far. His breeder says their home gets to 82 in summer. They adapt. My Mecki has shown no signs of being too hot (splayed out).

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Have you tried using black out drapes to block out the sun so your room won't get so hot?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

The black ous shades like Nikki said or maybe tin foil to reflect the sun back out . Last year we bought some reflective window film from the hardware store and it dropped the daytime temps by 20 F.
belties is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get some stone tile, granite or marble. They can lie on top of it to keep cool. If the tile itself gets warm you can put it in the refrigerator.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in