Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heating (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Dome (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191248)

Brooke Lancelot 04-21-2019 06:00 AM

Dome

Ok I got the Dome today and it works. I inserted the lamp and its doing good.
Bad thing is that I don't have a thermostat. So I'll need to regulate the temperature manually.
The bloody dome cost R450 and the thermostat costs R750. We didn't have enough money for both so I got the dome and next month I can get the thermostat.
We couldn't get coroplast, so I'm using Tinfoil.
Who's got any tips?

Brooke Lancelot 04-21-2019 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kay here's the cage with the tinfoil

Ria 04-21-2019 06:56 AM

Looks okay, the shiny side is it facing into the cage on 2 sides ?? Also if you find its making it too warm just poke holes in around the tin foil or take a bit off, one the sides.
Or if theres not enough light getting into the cage anymore just take off the tin foil on one side that will give it that light.

You could probably get away with not having the che on all the time too, otherwise it will be dangerous, you'll need someone who can always check on the temp as you dont have the thermostat yet.

Brooke Lancelot 04-21-2019 07:30 AM

Both sides of the tinfoil is shiny, says my mom. So we just put it on randomly.
The top is open, all sides are closed. If it gets too hot I'll poke holes or remove a piece. Thank you!
And I'm at home the whole time, I'll have to set a timer on my phone for the night that I just check on the temperature in the cage every hour or two. He's in the bed through the day, and the bed is cozy and warm, so he'll do fine through the day. Its the night that I'm worried about.
I'll make alarms to wake me up and check on the cage through the night.

Ria 04-21-2019 07:53 AM

81 Attachment(s)
You could probably put it in for an hour and then the tin foil will hold the heat.

With tin foil theres one dull side and one shiny side. In the photo it looks like the shiny is on the outside.
Generally when you have it in the roll back, the top is shiny and the bottom is the dull.
Really you need two with the shiny on the inside and two with the dull on the inside and it'll balance its self.

Lol I'm a catering student so and we use tin foil for all sorts of things and Know a lot about it and ways to use it😂 Sad I know.
But yea you can tell which side is which with a light too, the shiny side will reflect the light and shine a lot the other side thats dull wont reflect the light very much, so its not shiny.

Emc 04-21-2019 08:26 AM

What wattage is the CHE you're using? Because it's unregulated, you need to make sure it's kept at a safe distance. Here's a chart as an example. They get very, very hot very, very quickly and relying on manual control is not enough. Checking on the temperature every 1-2 hours is also not enough. They can heat to full capacity in 5 minutes, and can get over 30 degrees C and literally cook your hedgehog.

Until you can regulate it correctly with a thermostat, it needs to be checked regualarly and placed at a safe distance.

Aj.t 04-21-2019 10:49 AM

You might try a DIY stand to prop the bulb up a bit, so, like Emc said, it doesn’t get TOO hot. With that being said, it’s not a completely unreasonable idea (though I’m sure someone will say it is) to turn it off when you’re sleeping as long as you don’t sleep for like 12 hours haha. Since these guys are so active at night, they’re naturally going to have warmer body temperatures from the activity, and if your house is still warm, he should be perfectly fine. Then, in the morning, you can just flip it on and it’ll be good to go in 2-5 minutes. Just an idea 🙂

Ria 04-21-2019 11:03 AM

81 Attachment(s)
With the tin foil what Aj't said will work well, just have it on for like 2-3 mins before you go to bed, and then put him in with the lamp off then in the morning is should still be fine because the tin foil will have bounced the temp around the cage a lot through the night, and then if the temp is low just put it on for 2 mins and it'll re warm.

Having it on a stand a little more above the cage will also work well.

Brooke Lancelot 04-21-2019 02:56 PM

25 Attachment(s)
I've had it on for quite a while now, and the temperature on the thermometer is still lower than 20C.
Should I turn it off now or keep it on till its at the right temperature?
And bad thing about my house is that its never warm on the inside.

Aj.t 04-21-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooke Lancelot (Post 1072578)
I've had it on for quite a while now, and the temperature on the thermometer is still lower than 20C.

What does ‘never warm’ mean? Like give me some temperatures... and I’ll do my best to do the C to F conversion lol

Brooke Lancelot 04-21-2019 03:54 PM

Well since its autumn now, its like, 14C and less in the house at night, through the day, it doesn't get warmer than 23C
Winter will probably be harsher tho.

Mecki 04-21-2019 04:06 PM

No one has mentioned this (unless I missed it) but having the entire cage (all sides) wrapped in foil seems a bad idea -- CHE or not. That is too much coverage that doesn't allow for airflow or for light.

I think it would be best to only have that foil on 3 sides. Allow the front to be open for airflow and light.

Getting that thermostat will be critical. It will be much work for you to keep the temp regulated without it. It won't be a fun month and it won't be ideal for your hedgehog which will doubtless be getting lots of temp fluctuations until the thermostat is set up.

Brooke Lancelot 04-21-2019 04:21 PM

I know, but I really don't have the money. The dome cost my pay for the Easter weekend work I did, and my mom doesn't have money to help me out either. I can't get a thermostat until next payday.

So I should take out a side of tinfoil? Ok I'll do that then.

Ria 04-21-2019 04:26 PM

81 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecki (Post 1072614)
No one has mentioned this (unless I missed it) but having the entire cage (all sides) wrapped in foil seems a bad idea -- CHE or not. That is too much coverage that doesn't allow for airflow or for light

Okay so firstly I did mention earlier that if makes it too hot or blocks out too much light to remove one bit that will be the most beneficial for the
light. Also as the bars at the top are uncovered there will still be enough airflow into the the cage
As for light, the side that will let in the most light should be the one that comes off.

Emc 04-21-2019 04:34 PM

I'm honestly wondering if the tin-foiled covered sides are of any benefit at all. This is a very, very common problem encountered with reptiles kept in glass tanks with meshed roofs; heat rises. It doesn't matter if the sides are solid - if the roof is meshed, your heat will escape.

The lid of your cage appears to be uncovered, yet all the sides are sealed... your heat is going to rise and escape. all sides covered or not; the roof is exposed. If you wish to continue to use the unregulated CHE, you need to cover at least half of the roof if you want the heat to remain somewhat-trapped. Covering at least some of the roof should be far more effective that sealing all four sides.

To be perfectly honest; I would much rather give Igor a hot water bottle (wrapped up, and not made with boiling water) at night vs risking using no heat source or an unregulated CHE; it's just far too dangerous, in my opinion at least.

Ria 04-21-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emc (Post 1072628)
I'm honestly wondering if the tin-foiled covered sides are of any benefit at all.

The lid of your cage appears to be uncovered, yet all the sides are sealed... your heat is going to rise and escape. all sides covered or not; the roof is exposed. If you wish to continue to use the unregulated CHE, you need to cover at least half of the roof if you want the heat to remain trapped. Covering at least some of the roof should be far more effective that sealing all four sides.

When I said about the idea I said to do half the top dotted and then some the bars on the sides as it will help bounce heat around the cage longer.
(You can see if you go to the other thread that was talking about keeping the cage warm)

Also I said to get the thermostat rather than worrying about the holder its in, but other people made it seem like the dome was hugely important, so when it came to the choice of one or the other as the done seemed to get focused on a lot I can see why the dome was picked.

Emc 04-21-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ria (Post 1072632)
When I said about the idea I said to do half the top dotted and then some the bars on the sides as it will help bounce heat around the cage longer.
(You can see if you go to the other thread that was talking about keeping the cage warm)

Also I said to get the thermostat rather than worrying about the holder its in, but other people made it seem like the dome was hugely important, so when it came to the choice of one or the other as the done seemed to get focused on a lot I can see why the dome was picked.

I've only seen the other thread there; and reading it now is a little frustrating haha - I would be super frustrated (personally) if I was the OP.

The holder that was being used was already fine. It just needed to be re-positioned to point downwards vs sidewards because it was being used with a barred cage. Like yes, domes are overall better because they disperse the heat better, but if it was a case of dome or thermostat first... thermostat takes priority, without a doubt.

It makes me extremely uneasy to see an unregulated CHE placed so close to a hedgehog. OP; I would just cover the roof of your enclosure with tinfoil (leave the sides open for airflow and light) and offer Igor a hot water bottle until you buy a thermostat. That CHE being unregulated is too close for comfort. but if you want to keep using it; What's the wattage of the bulb? Can you suspend it higher above the cage somehow?

Brooke Lancelot 04-22-2019 01:41 AM

I think the wattage of the bulb is 50 - 100. I can't remember. And to be fair, the temperature didn't even raise to the appropriate one.

And can you just stop judging my poor decision making. This is very hard for me too. Money isn't an easy thing to come by and I've tried everything people has recommended.

I care about my hog, and I'll do everything economically possible to get him through this winter. Our economy is broken, and everything is expensive. I'm sorry if I seem stupid to you.

belties 04-22-2019 02:15 AM

Brooke, it will be OK. Haveing a hedgehog should be fun ,not stressfull. My simple suggestion would be to mount the heat element close to one end of the pen on the top pointed down. Cover the entire top with foil except under the element. Cover the short end near the heat element and both long sides with foil. Moniter the temp for a few days and adjust the amount of foil on the long sides to get the right temp if to warm. If it does not get warm enough put a couple of inches of foil down from the top on the open short side to keep the heat from excapeing as easily. If it does get a little warm for your cute little guy he can move to the far side away from the heater to cool off and with the one end open he will get fresh air and light. Check the temp in the heated end of the pen. Good luck and do not stress out please.

Ria 04-22-2019 02:34 AM

81 Attachment(s)
No one is saying that your wrong. Well I personally am not for sure. But on the other thread, the dome was so much more focused on so I can totally see why you went for the dome over the thermostat.

Your still learning and its okay to make a few mistakes here and there.
When I was talking about the tinfoil I wasnt the best at explaining it either. But to be fair, the way you did wasn't really that bad - I think everyone is making it seem worse than it is. I have seen it work like this. But also originally when I mention it, I was doing it from where you had the bulb at the current time so what you did was perfectly fine honestly.

Your doing your best now which is the main thing that matters.
So to work with what we have now - Put tin foil on the top where the che isnt, then the back (long side close to the window) can stay as it is, the two short sides at the top cover them in tin foil and on the same three side do the bottom - so that you have a fairly big gap in the middle of the two sides leave the front one as this looks like it will benefit more for light. - This will work as the heat will bonce around more and keep the air warmer longer. If its still not getting warm enough cover the top of the front side like you did the two short sides.

Either mine or besties way will work with the tin foil.
The best thing about tin foil is its easy to chop and change it. You can keep the buts you take off fold them up incase you need it.

Now to provide heat we have 2 choices

Option one
Turn the che on for a short period bring the cage up to a about 1-2 degrees below the right temp then turn it off and leave it in place and the cage will stay warm, you can get away with only checking it once in the night

Or option two
Put in a hot water bottle wrapped up in fleece and leave it in there to warm/keep the cage warm.

Ria 04-22-2019 02:45 AM

81 Attachment(s)
Sorry I put the wrong spelling on the name it should be belties and I cant change it now.

My first winter with Holly, was a nightmare, because I was told "no you dont need a heating source" just starting winter and it got to cold. So we just ordered a che set up quickly and worked with it. November I decided I was gonna pay out the money to change her cage to vivarium to hold in the heat better but the tin foil works to turn it into a more closed off cage

Emc 04-22-2019 08:27 AM

I absolutely was not judging your decision at all. Nor do I think you sound stupid.

In anyway; the reason the wattage Of the bulb matters is so we can suggest an appropriate height to suspend it at, so that if will be a safe distance for your hedgehog. Other than that, you can choose to turn the CHE off altogether and use a hot water bottle instead until you can get a thermostat.

Brooke Lancelot 04-22-2019 11:55 AM

Ok, I think. I'm gonna go with the hot water bottle idea.

And I might even safe up some money to get a vivarium too! This is so hard.

I'll do the hot water bottle, and just cover the cage at night with a blanket. Keep one short side open.
Thank you all. I'm sorry for being this bothersome

Ria 04-22-2019 01:09 PM

Note for the vivarium, they do hold a lot of heat which is perfect for the winter, but in summer it can be fairly hard to keep it cooler for them. But theres ways that work and if you keep the cage you have now you can always swap back to it when it gets to summer - Its harder to keep them cool in vivariums when they are on fleece too. Also with the che you'll need the first holder you had, with a ceramic heat guard, that screws into in inside from the top hanging down or you can have it sideways like you had it in the cage to start with.

You now have your plan, so stick to it. If the cage is too hot or too cold just re arrange the blanket to make it work 🙂
Your not bothersome and your doing good dont worry.

Brooke Lancelot 04-22-2019 01:28 PM

25 Attachment(s)
;-; I'll have to ask my uncle to help again when I get one 😂 and I'll keep the barred one I have.

Goodness winter is difficult

Ria 04-22-2019 01:31 PM

It defiantly is, especially when your first trying to get it sorted. It gets easier once you have it set up and everything, it will be easier for you. And less stressful.

Mecki 04-22-2019 09:09 PM

It's a shame thermostats are so expensive. One can only do what one can do.

Once you are able to get a thermostat, you will breathe a sigh of relief since it will be sooooo much simpler to keep the temperature regulated. Then, all of this 'try this' and 'try that' should be behind you.

Brooke Lancelot 04-23-2019 02:45 AM

Yeah, sadly, it'll only be next month, but I'll definitely get one. And I can believe it'll be alot easier.

Takehertothesea 04-24-2019 10:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So adding to this discussion I recently upgraded my Coconut to a c&c cage. I got my heat emitter, thermostat controller, and heat lamp dome all for 35 dollars from amazon.

My Coconut loves it and with the thermometer with temperature probes it all cost less than 80 dollars (including the cage parts) for her whole set up. I really like how reliable it is and I can keep track of it too. It was also easy to put together myself.

Liner and accessories were extra but Amazon has everything you need to get a reliable set up for your hedgehog.

I’m in Texas and the temp is normally 75+ during the day right now but at night it still drops to 40-60 depending so I like to have everything prepared in case!

Mecki 04-24-2019 10:30 PM

^ Cute!
The 2nd and 3rd pics suggest you added more stuff (litter tray, forest, towel). Do you have a photo of it all complete with the added things too?

Aj.t 04-25-2019 07:04 AM

She’s adorable and I love the name!

jwngr 04-25-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooke Lancelot (Post 1072578)

I have 5 little guys and my house doesn't get real warm, but I try to keep it at 72 F. I did use the CHE, but they worried me. So I switched to Flukers Heat Mats with Zilla Reptile Habitat Lighting & Terrarium Heat Power Centers and Century Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controllers to make darn sure my boys are safe and warm. They may cost some, but now I don't worry so much.

Ria 04-25-2019 11:59 AM

I'd worry more with a heat mat, as they can get burns with them.
And they only really heat the floor rather than the air.

Takehertothesea 05-05-2019 07:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I do have a litter box, fleece strip forest and a little tray under her wheel. The wheel is temporarily out right now because I have to tighten the bolt on it a little more. I noticed it was a little loose when cleaning it.

I took this picture while cleaning her cage out this evening. I have storage with all her stuff below and I had to take down the heat lamp and such while cleaning but you can see her eating with her bowl.

Her wheel has a tray underneath it normally (aluminum cookie tray I get in a pack of 4 from the dollar store so I can easily wipe down or throw away) I’m looking for a more eco friendly tray that’s easy for her to get in and out and easy to clean. She is really good at using her litter box and going where the carefresh bedding is. She won’t go on the fleece or in her cuddle sack. The extra litter box is there just so she has more options.

She is also on a diet poor thing. She got fat! And the vet has me giving her specific portions of food so we are trying to get her a little slimmer.

She has really bad allergies right now too so the fleece is helping with that. I set up a humidifier and air purifier on the other side of the room since her allergies caused her to have such dry skin a few quills fell off.

She’s getting a bath tomorrow and I have some oatmeal prepared to put in the bath and some medicated lotion I got from the vet. She has a hard time in the fall to winter and spring to summer transition with her allergies. I’m also considering putting flax seed oil in her food as I’ve heard that’s helpful for chronic dry skin.

I am using some fleece blankets as a little canopy while I make a proper one for her. I’m planning to get a fleece wheel liner for her wheel so it’s easier on her footsies and I’m going to add two panels to the right side on top of her cage and move the heat lamp to there. I’m making a proper canopy for her to replace the blanket and I’ll have it going in the middle of the cage

She’s not directly under or in line of the air vents but ac doesn’t discriminate so I wanted to keep any dust or air off her.

I’m really excited about this progress because her first cage was a large guinea pig cage and now she has a really good size home with plenty of space to move and exercise.