Dome - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ria

Sorry I put the wrong spelling on the name it should be belties and I cant change it now.

My first winter with Holly, was a nightmare, because I was told "no you dont need a heating source" just starting winter and it got to cold. So we just ordered a che set up quickly and worked with it. November I decided I was gonna pay out the money to change her cage to vivarium to hold in the heat better but the tin foil works to turn it into a more closed off cage

Last edited by Ria; 04-22-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Emc

I absolutely was not judging your decision at all. Nor do I think you sound stupid.

In anyway; the reason the wattage Of the bulb matters is so we can suggest an appropriate height to suspend it at, so that if will be a safe distance for your hedgehog. Other than that, you can choose to turn the CHE off altogether and use a hot water bottle instead until you can get a thermostat.
Emc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Ok, I think. I'm gonna go with the hot water bottle idea.

And I might even safe up some money to get a vivarium too! This is so hard.

I'll do the hot water bottle, and just cover the cage at night with a blanket. Keep one short side open.
Thank you all. I'm sorry for being this bothersome
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ria

Note for the vivarium, they do hold a lot of heat which is perfect for the winter, but in summer it can be fairly hard to keep it cooler for them. But theres ways that work and if you keep the cage you have now you can always swap back to it when it gets to summer - Its harder to keep them cool in vivariums when they are on fleece too. Also with the che you'll need the first holder you had, with a ceramic heat guard, that screws into in inside from the top hanging down or you can have it sideways like you had it in the cage to start with.

You now have your plan, so stick to it. If the cage is too hot or too cold just re arrange the blanket to make it work 🙂
Your not bothersome and your doing good dont worry.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

;-; I'll have to ask my uncle to help again when I get one 😂 and I'll keep the barred one I have.

Goodness winter is difficult
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ria

It defiantly is, especially when your first trying to get it sorted. It gets easier once you have it set up and everything, it will be easier for you. And less stressful.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

It's a shame thermostats are so expensive. One can only do what one can do.

Once you are able to get a thermostat, you will breathe a sigh of relief since it will be sooooo much simpler to keep the temperature regulated. Then, all of this 'try this' and 'try that' should be behind you.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 02:45 AM   #28 (permalink)

Yeah, sadly, it'll only be next month, but I'll definitely get one. And I can believe it'll be alot easier.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

So adding to this discussion I recently upgraded my Coconut to a c&c cage. I got my heat emitter, thermostat controller, and heat lamp dome all for 35 dollars from amazon.

My Coconut loves it and with the thermometer with temperature probes it all cost less than 80 dollars (including the cage parts) for her whole set up. I really like how reliable it is and I can keep track of it too. It was also easy to put together myself.

Liner and accessories were extra but Amazon has everything you need to get a reliable set up for your hedgehog.

I’m in Texas and the temp is normally 75+ during the day right now but at night it still drops to 40-60 depending so I like to have everything prepared in case!
Takehertothesea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

^ Cute!
The 2nd and 3rd pics suggest you added more stuff (litter tray, forest, towel). Do you have a photo of it all complete with the added things too?

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in