Dome - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well since its autumn now, its like, 14C and less in the house at night, through the day, it doesn't get warmer than 23C
Winter will probably be harsher tho.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

No one has mentioned this (unless I missed it) but having the entire cage (all sides) wrapped in foil seems a bad idea -- CHE or not. That is too much coverage that doesn't allow for airflow or for light.

I think it would be best to only have that foil on 3 sides. Allow the front to be open for airflow and light.

Getting that thermostat will be critical. It will be much work for you to keep the temp regulated without it. It won't be a fun month and it won't be ideal for your hedgehog which will doubtless be getting lots of temp fluctuations until the thermostat is set up.
nikki likes this.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

I know, but I really don't have the money. The dome cost my pay for the Easter weekend work I did, and my mom doesn't have money to help me out either. I can't get a thermostat until next payday.

So I should take out a side of tinfoil? Ok I'll do that then.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecki View Post
No one has mentioned this (unless I missed it) but having the entire cage (all sides) wrapped in foil seems a bad idea -- CHE or not. That is too much coverage that doesn't allow for airflow or for light
Okay so firstly I did mention earlier that if makes it too hot or blocks out too much light to remove one bit that will be the most beneficial for the
light. Also as the bars at the top are uncovered there will still be enough airflow into the the cage
As for light, the side that will let in the most light should be the one that comes off.

Last edited by Ria; 04-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Emc

I'm honestly wondering if the tin-foiled covered sides are of any benefit at all. This is a very, very common problem encountered with reptiles kept in glass tanks with meshed roofs; heat rises. It doesn't matter if the sides are solid - if the roof is meshed, your heat will escape.

The lid of your cage appears to be uncovered, yet all the sides are sealed... your heat is going to rise and escape. all sides covered or not; the roof is exposed. If you wish to continue to use the unregulated CHE, you need to cover at least half of the roof if you want the heat to remain somewhat-trapped. Covering at least some of the roof should be far more effective that sealing all four sides.

To be perfectly honest; I would much rather give Igor a hot water bottle (wrapped up, and not made with boiling water) at night vs risking using no heat source or an unregulated CHE; it's just far too dangerous, in my opinion at least.
nikki and Mecki like this.

Last edited by Emc; 04-21-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
I'm honestly wondering if the tin-foiled covered sides are of any benefit at all.

The lid of your cage appears to be uncovered, yet all the sides are sealed... your heat is going to rise and escape. all sides covered or not; the roof is exposed. If you wish to continue to use the unregulated CHE, you need to cover at least half of the roof if you want the heat to remain trapped. Covering at least some of the roof should be far more effective that sealing all four sides.
When I said about the idea I said to do half the top dotted and then some the bars on the sides as it will help bounce heat around the cage longer.
(You can see if you go to the other thread that was talking about keeping the cage warm)

Also I said to get the thermostat rather than worrying about the holder its in, but other people made it seem like the dome was hugely important, so when it came to the choice of one or the other as the done seemed to get focused on a lot I can see why the dome was picked.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
When I said about the idea I said to do half the top dotted and then some the bars on the sides as it will help bounce heat around the cage longer.
(You can see if you go to the other thread that was talking about keeping the cage warm)

Also I said to get the thermostat rather than worrying about the holder its in, but other people made it seem like the dome was hugely important, so when it came to the choice of one or the other as the done seemed to get focused on a lot I can see why the dome was picked.
I've only seen the other thread there; and reading it now is a little frustrating haha - I would be super frustrated (personally) if I was the OP.

The holder that was being used was already fine. It just needed to be re-positioned to point downwards vs sidewards because it was being used with a barred cage. Like yes, domes are overall better because they disperse the heat better, but if it was a case of dome or thermostat first... thermostat takes priority, without a doubt.

It makes me extremely uneasy to see an unregulated CHE placed so close to a hedgehog. OP; I would just cover the roof of your enclosure with tinfoil (leave the sides open for airflow and light) and offer Igor a hot water bottle until you buy a thermostat. That CHE being unregulated is too close for comfort. but if you want to keep using it; What's the wattage of the bulb? Can you suspend it higher above the cage somehow?
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think the wattage of the bulb is 50 - 100. I can't remember. And to be fair, the temperature didn't even raise to the appropriate one.

And can you just stop judging my poor decision making. This is very hard for me too. Money isn't an easy thing to come by and I've tried everything people has recommended.

I care about my hog, and I'll do everything economically possible to get him through this winter. Our economy is broken, and everything is expensive. I'm sorry if I seem stupid to you.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Brooke, it will be OK. Haveing a hedgehog should be fun ,not stressfull. My simple suggestion would be to mount the heat element close to one end of the pen on the top pointed down. Cover the entire top with foil except under the element. Cover the short end near the heat element and both long sides with foil. Moniter the temp for a few days and adjust the amount of foil on the long sides to get the right temp if to warm. If it does not get warm enough put a couple of inches of foil down from the top on the open short side to keep the heat from excapeing as easily. If it does get a little warm for your cute little guy he can move to the far side away from the heater to cool off and with the one end open he will get fresh air and light. Check the temp in the heated end of the pen. Good luck and do not stress out please.

Last edited by belties; 04-22-2019 at 02:18 AM.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ria

No one is saying that your wrong. Well I personally am not for sure. But on the other thread, the dome was so much more focused on so I can totally see why you went for the dome over the thermostat.

Your still learning and its okay to make a few mistakes here and there.
When I was talking about the tinfoil I wasnt the best at explaining it either. But to be fair, the way you did wasn't really that bad - I think everyone is making it seem worse than it is. I have seen it work like this. But also originally when I mention it, I was doing it from where you had the bulb at the current time so what you did was perfectly fine honestly.

Your doing your best now which is the main thing that matters.
So to work with what we have now - Put tin foil on the top where the che isnt, then the back (long side close to the window) can stay as it is, the two short sides at the top cover them in tin foil and on the same three side do the bottom - so that you have a fairly big gap in the middle of the two sides leave the front one as this looks like it will benefit more for light. - This will work as the heat will bonce around more and keep the air warmer longer. If its still not getting warm enough cover the top of the front side like you did the two short sides.

Either mine or besties way will work with the tin foil.
The best thing about tin foil is its easy to chop and change it. You can keep the buts you take off fold them up incase you need it.

Now to provide heat we have 2 choices

Option one
Turn the che on for a short period bring the cage up to a about 1-2 degrees below the right temp then turn it off and leave it in place and the cage will stay warm, you can get away with only checking it once in the night

Or option two
Put in a hot water bottle wrapped up in fleece and leave it in there to warm/keep the cage warm.

Last edited by Ria; 04-22-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in