lamp vs heating pad? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Emc
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lamp vs heating pad?

Hey everyone!

Right now I am currently keeping my room temp up high but residence furnaces must be terrible because I have the dial at 85 and my cage is 73.

I have a heating lamp back at my family's house and will bring it back. The only problem is that my parents say it is too dangerous to use as it's just a regular heat lamp and gets way too hot. I have looked into heating pads but my cage has a plastic tub bottom and I'm worried about it melting.

What should I do? The lamp has a clip so I could clip it to my desk. But, as I said, it is a major fire hazard. Any tips?
pepperthehedgie_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

Heat lamps (used with CHE bulbs) would be my preferred methods of heating a hedgehog, personally. The issue with heat mats is that they just heat the bottom of the enclosure; you can place them on the side, but they aren't the greatest at heating the air - whereas the CHE's are, so (generally speaking) do a much better job at keeping the enclosure within an ideal range. They are only a fire hazard if used incorrectly or carelessly; you should never use them without a thermostat, or they will get incredibly hot. There shouldn't be any blankets, etc that they could hit off or touch. If used with care and with the use of a thermostat however, the risk of a fire should be next to non-existent.

Heat mats can be used with plastic tubs (I don't personally advise their use because of the above ^) without the risk of it melting, because you're not going to be setting it a temperature capable of doing so. Again though, if that is the path you choose, you need to use them with a thermostat. They can get very, very, very hot and can be just as dangerous as an unregulated CHE.
belties likes this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

I'd say the heat lamp is better, as said if used correctly on a thermostate its almost like a radiator. These heat the air which is exactly what hedgehogs need. Yes they can be a risk, but when used right, with a theromostat to control it and no fabrics, plastic bags, papaer ect too close to it, you control that risks.

Heat mats do still need to use a thermostate, they should have some cover on top to stop burns to the hedgehog. When used on a thermostate they shouldnt melt the plastic, but they can discolour and leave a burn mark which isnt a problem but it will happen after a long period of time, you cant stop that. They only heat the floor, and it can get a bit too warm for the hog to lay on, because if you think about things take a little while to cool down. Heating only the floor isnt really ideal, but some people still use them, but they tend to get more hibernation attempts than those with the CHE set up.

Most people will tell you the CHE set up will be better. But you can make up your own mind based on the information given to you.
belties likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
Heat lamps (used with CHE bulbs) would be my preferred methods of heating a hedgehog, personally. The issue with heat mats is that they just heat the bottom of the enclosure; you can place them on the side, but they aren't the greatest at heating the air - whereas the CHE's are, so (generally speaking) do a much better job at keeping the enclosure within an ideal range. They are only a fire hazard if used incorrectly or carelessly; you should never use them without a thermostat, or they will get incredibly hot. There shouldn't be any blankets, etc that they could hit off or touch. If used with care and with the use of a thermostat however, the risk of a fire should be next to non-existent.

Heat mats can be used with plastic tubs (I don't personally advise their use because of the above ^) without the risk of it melting, because you're not going to be setting it a temperature capable of doing so. Again though, if that is the path you choose, you need to use them with a thermostat. They can get very, very, very hot and can be just as dangerous as an unregulated CHE.
Thanks! What thermostats do you recommend? I'm struggling to find good ones.
pepperthehedgie_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

We have R-Zilla 1000 watt temp controller , I beleive it was under $40 online.https://www.chewy.com/zilla-terrariu...ting/dp/129057

Last edited by belties; 03-11-2019 at 12:32 AM.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

Most would recommend to use a pule-type thermostat if using a ceramic heat emitter, this brand is a pretty popular choice.

Personally speaking, I have just a regular on/off thermostat by microclimate, and I've found that it works pretty well (and I use it with a CHE).

^ I like the ones that require a key to change the temperature; that way you can't accidentally hit off it and send it shooting up or even accidentally lower it. They're safer (particularly if you're worried about a fire hazard), IMO.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is anyone use warm air blower? Basically it's like a low wattage hairdryer. it has 5W fan blower only (for air circulation during hot summer days), 50W warm air blower, and 100W warm air blower switch. Pretty popular for plastic container with mesh wire top user here., well ofcourse need combineed with thermostat (on/off i think).
shun0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Something like this :
shun0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in