Hedgehog Central banner

A less costly way of heating the cage?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Folly 
#1 ·
Are CHEs any more energy-efficient than a space heater? I have a space heater set up right now (it's the sort that turns on and off to keep the area at the right temp), and my dad is SUPER weird about it because of the electricity costs and turns it down to 65 whenever he's in my room despite knowing about the risks of keeping the cage too cold :/ I'm always worried I'll forget to fix it, so I'm looking into something that costs a little less in the long run. I don't really want to drop $60 on setting up a CHE if it won't be any better than a space heater though. And if CHE's aren't much cheaper, is there a different option I can look into? Particularly inexpensive-to-run space heaters, maybe? I'm mostly fine with whatever the initial costs are, within reason, so I'd really just like to find something that'll please my parents xD

#2 ·
A CHE is much more costly in the beginning, but uses much less energy overall. It uses about as much energy as a lightbulb. A space heater is typically rated up to 1500 watts; compare that to a large CHE setup. For a large, very open cage, the most you'd need would be 2 CHEs that are each 150 watts, so 300 watts in total. Most of the time you'll be using more like 150-200 watts for a CHE setup to heat a hedgehog's cage.

#3 ·
Agreed, you'd be going from heating a whole room with appx 1500 watts, to heating just the cage with 100-300 watts. Definitely a big difference. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.