I just want to make sure I have everything right - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LuckFupus458

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I just want to make sure I have everything right

Hi all

I just picked up my sweet little Banjo on Wednesday, and I have spent every day since riding his cage temperature out of paranoia because I know that's the most crucial thing.

The AC is running at a mild temp for the rest of the house--72 to 74 during the day, 70-72 at night--but that's in the room the thermostat is in. Here, in our room (mine and Banjo's), that translates to 70 to 72, night and day. In order to protect him from the draft, I've used fleece as a draft blocker/insulator, covered the vent with my bed (so the cold air stays low disperses across the floor and doesn't send a draft in his direction--plus, I'm covering it with a pillow when I think it may overwhelm the CHE), and set him up with a CHE with the thermostat set to 75. Because of the size and layout of my room, there is no placement that wouldn't have one end of his cage abutting an outside wall, so I have the CHE favoring that side a little more.

My main concern is that it takes a moment for the CHE to start warming his cage, and the temperature still drops while it does that (just to 74ish), then it takes a moment after the AC shuts off for the CHE to disperse the last of its heat--and since the AC is no longer pumping into the room, it contributes too, leaving his little cage on the 78 borderland. I put a tile coaster in as a splat pad, but he hasn't used it, so I guess he hasn't gotten too warm--I have caught him curled up against the side of the cage's plastic bottom, under a the shirt I put in there for him, but I think that's him crawling all the way through his hidey-tunnel and thinking he's found the underground lol.

Is that enough? Is that too wide a swing in temps? I don't want to make him hibernate or aestivate. I think I might be worrying about it too much as he seems happy and healthy and fine. He runs on his little wheel all night and eats just fine and I haven't seen any signs of either problem.

I just know it's the biggest danger to him and love him so much and want him to be safe. Anything y'all could say or any advice you could give to calm my nerves would go a long, long way. I think I over-researched and made myself worry too much--anxiety runs in our family.

Should I set the CHE a little higher and hedge (no pun intended) on the side of him being a little warmer? I know I'm going to get him a real splat pad, just in case (even though I figured fighting off the chill would be our biggest concern, whether that be winter on the walls or AC in the air).

We're two solitary, nocturnal dudes with a little speck of chocolate on our noses. He's really helped a lot with my depression, just in these past few days, despite my anxiety over whether or not I will succeed. I was raised to be a defeatist, and some days, it's hard not to be and see the worst possible future: one where I had something the slightest bit off and it hurt him because I wasn't good enough.
baxterzeppo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am so glad Banjo has been such a great help to you! You sound like a wonderful daddio!

I think things sound fine. As long as the thermostat is reading what you set it at and it stays warm in his cage he should be fine.

The main thing you wanna watch for is the that the whole cage is heated evenly so that where ever he goes he will be warm. I had a tile in my girl's cage during the summer and she loved it!

As long as he is eating normally, his activity level is consistent and all his elimination functions are normal, I don't think you have to worry.

It sounds like Banjo has found a great home and will have a great life!

Sincerely,

Jill
Yukidama's mama likes this.

LuckFupus458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in