Heating her cage - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ria

I wont be able to get a floor lamp that will be able to reach over the cage. The room is always bright and I make sure she gets a good amount of light. And its always consitant. And her days are alwas the same length.
Its just heating her and keeping the heating stable which is my biggest concern at the moment.

I have taken into fact the lighting yes. Its just not very pratical to put a floor lamp there as light. And to be honest If that light went out it would be replaced stright away.
Its not dark in the room its always light and my main light is bright that it lights the whole room and having white walls helps make it bright.

Yes I appricate that they need it to be consistant, but I make sure it is. And mainly its 7am to 9pm of light.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Provided you are using the ceiling light instead, then thats completely fine if it lights up the inside of the cage well. You were asking about timers so I was just giving you a suggestion if you did want to use a lamp with a timer with the type of cage you have

Some people think sunlight is enough but on cloudy days it wouldn't be consistent. Like here we are having so much rain everyday, (I feel like I'm back in England! >< lol) it makes my apartment so dark during the day, so Yuki's cage would be too dark during the day without artificial light and this would put him at risk of hibernating.

I went through two ceiling light bulbs pretty quickly (they're those horrible old fashioned bright lights though that you basically get in offices!) so not cheap to replace or run, that's why I decided to get a lamp, which is also our room light now haha, it's much nicer quality of light, of course it's always aimed at his cage too ^^

You're all set on heating now aren't you?

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 09-25-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ria

Its the main ceiling light yea its in the middle of the room and lights the whole of the room. Theres also the sunlight that comes in (when its not cloudy) but I leave the light on all day just to make sure shes always got light. So the room specially with white walls, allways seem really bright in the day.

The heat I’m pretty sure Ik what I’m getting, just need to go and order it, its mostly just so I know shes going to be at a stable temperature all the time.
We’ve just got to see which will be better clamping the light to the bars of the cage or finding a stand and then put it so its hangs over the middle of the cage on a stand thats behind the cage. But thats the easy part really.

I do have ons question, the thermostat if I found one at 100w would that be okay to use or does it have to be the 600w one ??

Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

How many CHEs are you getting?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ria

I’m only getting one as one should be enough to keep her whole cage warm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in