Can CHE safely go inside of cage? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By akitka

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can CHE safely go inside of cage?

Hi,

I've been scouring the threads but I can't find a clear answer on this.

I have a wooden 'dresser style' cage and am trying to set up heating with a CHE. I can't rest it on the top of the cage. Can the CHE go inside the cage if I put it high enough that he can't touch it, and put a metal cage around it? My main concerns are a) direct contact with wood being a fire hazard and b) he would be able to get within maybe six inches of it. Do they get hot enough that that would pose a danger?

It's hard to find info online anywhere about the minimum required distance they need to be from pets.

Thanks for help!
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitka View Post
Hi,

I've been scouring the threads but I can't find a clear answer on this.

I have a wooden 'dresser style' cage and am trying to set up heating with a CHE. I can't rest it on the top of the cage. Can the CHE go inside the cage if I put it high enough that he can't touch it, and put a metal cage around it? My main concerns are a) direct contact with wood being a fire hazard and b) he would be able to get within maybe six inches of it. Do they get hot enough that that would pose a danger?

It's hard to find info online anywhere about the minimum required distance they need to be from pets.

Thanks for help!

Update: I think I've found a pretty good solution so here it is for anyone who comes looking with the same question, though I'd also like feedback on it vi-sa-vi safety. I'm going to add a wire mesh cage around the bulb so he can't get near it, but he can't reach that high up the wall anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3838.jpg (74.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3841.jpg (80.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Those ramps without sides are prob just as bad as the uncovered CHE Also that socket doesn't look ceramic. Is it rated for CHE bulbs? If not you might be asking for even more trouble.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep I know bout the ramps they'll get sides soon for sure, it wasn't my most urgent fix because he goes up and down them like an absolute pro. Yes the socket is ceramic for a CHE, said it on the box. Do you think it's a concern having it poking in there if I put a metal cage around it?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess it would depend on if the lil' guy can reach the wire, and if they get just as hot as the bulb being that close to it.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll give the wire a go and see how hot it gets. It shouldn't be on too much, I've got a space heater it's mostly just backup. Keeping my boy nice and cozy.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

It looks far too close to the ground, if he stretched up he could touch that for sure no? I believe 30cms is the minimum gap distance (if attached from the ceiling) so when using a terrarium the ceiling is normally 50cm high as the CHE is atleast 10cm in length itself and this allows sufficient distance between.

They get extremely hot, even having the wood cut around it I'm not sure if it would eventually brown/discolour the wood. One time a snuggle sack got caught in my boys CHE when I was putting it back in the cage and it immediately melted it! You need to put a metal protector around it definitely. I'd test it out on a separate cutting to see how it goes before using it inside the enclosure. Do you have a thermostat the CHE will plug into which will control it, turning it on and off when required? This is a must as well.
nikki likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Hedgehogs can stretch up to 13 inches high if determined. The CHE should be in the middle of the cage not on the side for more even heat distribution. I would worry about the wood becoming to hot. CHE's shouldn't be near anything flammable, like wood.

Your ramps also need a top as well as sides.
Yukidama's mama likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukidama's mama View Post
It looks far too close to the ground, if he stretched up he could touch that for sure no? I believe 30cms is the minimum gap distance (if attached from the ceiling) so when using a terrarium the ceiling is normally 50cm high as the CHE is atleast 10cm in length itself and this allows sufficient distance between.

They get extremely hot, even having the wood cut around it I'm not sure if it would eventually brown/discolour the wood. One time a snuggle sack got caught in my boys CHE when I was putting it back in the cage and it immediately melted it! You need to put a metal protector around it definitely. I'd test it out on a separate cutting to see how it goes before using it inside the enclosure. Do you have a thermostat the CHE will plug into which will control it, turning it on and off when required? This is a must as well.
Yes if I could put it up top that would be ideal but unfortunately that's not the kind of cage I have. I've been doing some tests with it though and I've found it doesn't seem to get too hot. As I mentioned I have a space heater keeping the room warm anyways, the CHE is mostly there to keep the temperature stable and just right. By doing some tests with the thermostat I've found it only takes moments for it to raise the temperature by several degrees and then it shuts itself off. The back of the bulb near the wood doesn't seem to get warm in that time. But thank you for your input, I'm going to keep doing tests for now, and it won't be left on unsupervised untill I have a cage for it.
LuckFupus458 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in